Water Pump Question | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water Pump Question in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

I have a Salamander water pump. I want to install it onto my bath hot and cold as a minimum, because it has a shower too etc...

The bath cold feed is in the airing cupboard and so is the hot feed, so the plan would be to mount it on a shelf there..

The hot and cold pipes for the bath are 22mm... The pump in and out are both 15mm.

Question 1... is it OK to break into the 22mm pipe, reduce it to 15mm, and then go back up to 22mm between pump and bath...

Question 2... If I break into the 22mm pipe... Do I break into it before the gate valve or after it?

Question 3... (For pumping the hot water) The pipe from Cold Water tank in loft, going to bottom of hot water cylinder, do I break into that feed pipe, and pump before the cylinder, or, do I break into one of the hot pipes coming out of the top of the cylinder... Out of the top of my hot water cylinder, there is one outlet, and within 12 inches, there are 3 T-offs.... Dont know where they all go because they go downwards to the floor... But... one of them, at a T point, as well as going down into the floor, also goes up into the loft to what looks like a curved breather pipe feeding into the central heating cistern. So... If I install hot water pump somewhere, isnt there a chance that the pump is going to make water go up that breather? Hope that makes sense..!!

Cheers

you really need to follow manufacturers instructions as supplied with this pump if not it will not work properly and will invalidate any warranty and worse could cause water damage to your property:)regards turnpin

The best I can advise is to read the instructions or go on the salamander website. Simply because they give you several diagrams of possible installations. If you read the instructions it will recommend a particular flange is fitted to the cylinder for the hot water feed.

I know plenty of people that have simply T'd off the top of the cylinder and it has worked fine, although if you get problems down the line I believe salamander will not help if not fitted as per there instructions. Do not break into the feed going to the bottom of the cylinder.

You also need to make sure that your cold water tank is capable of supply enough water to run the pump. Again check the instructions :)

oh, and what Tom just said :D

Whole house pump springs to mind ;)

Last edited:
ok this should answer your questions

1st ;you need a 50 gallon tank in your loft to make sure you have enough supply for the pump
2nd ;you need to take a separate cold feed from the tank to the pump and the connection needs to be lower than the feed supplying the cylinder.

3rd ;you need a surrey flange for the top of the cylinder it has two connections on it one is for the normal hot draw off and the second is for the pump direct.

4th ;the hot and cold feeds to the bath need to be seperate to the rest of the hot and cold water or it will pump out of the vent pipe.

finally ;15ml is fine just try and use a reducer close to the pump connections to assist the supply and flow.

always use manufacturers instructions and you will need to turn your cylinder stat down to avoid damaging the pump normally 55 degrees.

hope this helps.let me know how you get again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
take iso valves off and fit 1/2 inch x 22mm...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you ! How about a 15mm to 1/2 coupler as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A very rough calculation maybe using a UPS 3...
Replies
Views
  • Question
To improve the flow from your high-pressure...
Replies
Views
  • Question
hi have been a plumber for 50 years this month...
Replies
Views
Back