Water pump to toilet and basin | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water pump to toilet and basin in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

absuffolk

I recently had a new bathroom fitted with a power shower.
The fitters have routed all the water into the bathroom via the pump, so it serves the toilet and the basin.
I have had a couple of people tell me this is wrong, but they were not plumbers so not sure who is right.
Can anyone tell me it this is ok to have all the water supply go through a power pump to both toilet and basin as well as the shower?

It's something I'd steer away from, connecting it to the toilet that is, in some cases it's necessary to connect a basin or a bath but the toilet should be connected by other means such as mains water. After all who wants to hear the pump groaning when you flush the toilet at 3am.

It probably not ideal as you say, but apart from the noise, does it do any harm to anything? I was told that it would damage the toilet system, otherwise I will live with it as the noise is not a problem (unless I sleep walk to the loo).

It will not damage the toilet.

Lazy plumbing really. You will have to see how much it bother you down the line. I don't know how well the pumps deal with relatively short use cycles?

You have to be careful with connecting toilets to pumps in my experience. Ive had to put in a separate feed a few times due to problems caused by it.

Agreed you needed a couple of pipe alterations tbh. In certain circumstances (tiled floors or non surface pipe work etc) you may have to do this but that something the customer should be made aware of. What pump is it?

Thanks everyone for your comments. At least nothing is going to be damaged, just a matter of time then to see if the pump can cope with short bursts.
I assume that if I turn the power off to the pump that everything still works but at a much slower flow rate.

Yes...

A grundfos watermill?

It will decrease the lifespan of the pump and possibly invalidate the warranty. As has been said, lazy plumbing but nothing serious.

There are pumps that are specific for combined usage. If it states that it's for bathroom applications then it should be fine. The only reason I reckon they could fail is due to them being used more often. Not because what it's connected to, but due to the wearing out process occurring quicker.
i would also pay extra attention to seals, I hear the noise puts them off their fish. Naa, just make sure their tight enough to withstand the vibration.

The biggest problem with putting an ordinary twin impeller shower pump on other supplies is that it if you open just one side, say just a cold tap or when the cistern fills, the hot side of the pump is banging away against a closed head. This can overheat and stress the seal, shortening it's life.

Whole house pumps are designed to pump just one side without this happening, although they are slightly more expensive to make.

At least, that's how salamander explained it to me a few years ago.

The biggest problem with putting an ordinary twin impeller shower pump on other supplies is that it if you open just one side, say just a cold tap or when the cistern fills, the hot side of the pump is banging away against a closed head. This can overheat and stress the seal, shortening it's life.

Whole house pumps are designed to pump just one side without this happening, although they are slightly more expensive to make.

At least, that's how salamander explained it to me a few years ago.

And they are spot on IMHO.

I read suitable for bathroom installations as bath and shower. If you read the spec it's almost implied that way.

I was alway told to have potable mains cold water to basins and Kitchin sink.not stored tank fed water I know there are lots of tank fed basins out there.i know stored water in some cases can be classed as potable.
But i am unsure myself but some one on hear will know and hopefully post some thing.
Don't think I would wont to clean my teeth in some of the tanks out there.

The water to a basin will be wholesome (the new potable) if it is fed from a properly covered and insulated cold water storage cistern. All water stored for domestic usage should be wholesome.

just my two penny but if it is 1.5 bar then when somebody is in shower and the toilet is flushed then there will be an unbalanced hot and cold and may lead to scalding.

thats why most whole house pumps are 3 bar,

not sure on this and someone else may know better and may even argue the case.
but that is why I wouldnt do it

Not ideal. Pumped water to a WC cistern The flow switch don't know if its coming or going when the ballvalve is slowly shutting down (thing will just wear out more quickly). Would have been better to just pump the hot water and take the cold off the mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Are you asking if you can run a toilet into an...
Replies
Views
You have a partial blockage downstream of the...
Replies
Views
The mains water is now feeding everything in...
Replies
Views
Probably your main stopcock is not fitted the...
Replies
Views
Was the new pan fitted with a flexible waste...
Replies
Views
Back