Water Regs? | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water Regs? in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

KingDoey

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Evening all,

Just a quick one, am in my final year of apprenticeship working towards NVQ 3 Heat & Vent (actually think its now changed to Diploma Level 3 or whatever). And part of it is that we get our water regs and unvented.

Our lecturer was talking the regs mon at college and from what I understood he basically said that if you hold a Water Regs ticket you can effectively be held accountable in a court of law for any errors. Eg Legionella outbreak some fellow got 5 years for manslaughter... However from what I gathered if you DONT have your water regs you can not be held responsible.

It might be the way he worded it but was talking to my mate at work today (also on my course) and thought is it actually worth doing if you can get done for not following correct practice? Not saying I dont but in cases of general human error etc.

Is there actually any point in getting it as it seems the only thing that might come of it is getting a stretch inside!

This might seem stupid, but can anyone clarify.

Cheers

So if I understand you correctly you are saying the Law would treat you differently if you killed somebody through your actions but were ignorant of the requirements rather than if you new what was required ??

What like running somebody over & killing them doing 45 mph in a 30 & then claiming that you didn't no everyone had to drive at only 30. The old saying ignorants of the Law is no defence !

The Water Regulation 1999 make it quite clear that anyone who breaks them can be prosecuted (the water user / householder) & each breach can result in a £5k fine, the only defence for the customer is if they hold a certificate issued by an approved contractor (normally an invoice or commissioning cert). Either way if your work was at fault you could be prosecuted it is just wether or not they would go after the customer for employing somebody who was not qualified to carry out the work.
Are you saying that ignorance is bliss or are you planing to go around doing such bad work that manslaughter is a real prospect ???? LOL
PS you really should know what course you are taking you know, have you taken the written project work yet ?

Upvote 0
So if I understand you correctly you are saying the Law would treat you differently if you killed somebody through your actions but were ignorant of the requirements rather than if you new what was required ??

What like running somebody over & killing them doing 45 mph in a 30 & then claiming that you didn't no everyone had to drive at only 30. The old saying ignorants of the Law is no defence !

The Water Regulation 1999 make it quite clear that anyone who breaks them can be prosecuted (the water user / householder) & each breach can result in a £5k fine, the only defence for the customer is if they hold a certificate issued by an approved contractor (normally an invoice or commissioning cert). Either way if your work was at fault you could be prosecuted it is just wether or not they would go after the customer for employing somebody who was not qualified to carry out the work.
Are you saying that ignorance is bliss or are you planing to go around doing such bad work that manslaughter is a real prospect ???? LOL
PS you really should know what course you are taking you know, have you taken the written project work yet ?

Thanks for the info, no need to get narky was a serious question....

And yes I know what course I am taking NVQ3 Heat and Vent, but they have since changed the name. And what written project work? I only go on day release mate....

Upvote 0
Sorry if you thought it was a "narky" answer (what ever that is ) but you new it was a strange question otherwise you would not have finished your question the way you did !
If you are going to be a good engineer after you finish this year, I would of thought that you would be seeking as much knowledge & qualifications as possible in the industry, not looking to get out of something, on the of-chance that you may make a mistake, It just sounded strange that was all.
Are you on the 6189 Diploma or is 9861 ? if it is the 6189 there are project / written exams at the end, not sure about the 9861, I was just interested as to whether you had to do these as well.
Any way, good luck in your final year, make the most of it, it gets tougher out there when you have to work a 5 day week.

Upvote 0
Thanks for reply Chris,

The course is Level 3 Diploma in Domestic Heating (6189-43). It has replaced the NVQ3 this year but is the equivalent. However we do get our Water Regs, Unvented and Gas all included now.

Yeah was speaking to my lecturer today and agree it was a stupid question really. Definately going to do everything I can, since my firm are paying for it!

Cheers

Upvote 0
Thanks for reply Chris,

The course is Level 3 Diploma in Domestic Heating (6189-43). It has replaced the NVQ3 this year but is the equivalent. However we do get our Water Regs, Unvented and Gas all included now.

Yeah was speaking to my lecturer today and agree it was a stupid question really. Definately going to do everything I can, since my firm are paying for it!

Cheers
Go for it !!!
Don't let this put you off asking questions just see if you can word them a bit better.
PS. So you don't have to do the written projects in cold, hot or heating then ? (would not expect that you would do the sanitation one being just a Fitter !!! LOL) If so, your lucky they are nasty.

Upvote 0
Yeah cheers mate I will...

No the old way was basically re-do the NVQ2 portfolio in a lot more detail. Bathroom, Gas run, Boiler + Rad, Unvented, Vented Cylinder, Warm Air and Oil.

However, now we just have to do two portfolios. One entirely on a heating system and one on Gas....

No sanitation invovled, but thats what I mainly do anyway!

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I figured I should let you guys know in case...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The noise sound like whistle so could be over...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
There were issues with failing heat exchangers...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Our building has a boiler that provides both...
Replies
Views
arkay-eff
A
  • Question
Thanks, both. Good tips. Will give them a go.
Replies
Views
Back