Water seeping out from under rear-outlet toilet | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water seeping out from under rear-outlet toilet in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ryan Rowland

Hi all,

Recently there has been water seeping out from underneath my toilet base, I've googled around to see what causes this and the majority of people saying a faulty wax ring - how ever all these people seem to have bottom-outlet toilets. I don't think that could be the problem with my toilet as the outlet is behind the toilet away from the base, I can see where it connects to the waste pipe.

Anyone know what could be causing this? And also how I'd go about fixing it or is it a new toilet job?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Regards,
Ryan.

Attachments

• toilet.JPG
    toilet.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 77
Are you sure its not coming from around the outlet at the back or between the cistern and the pan? If it isnt then Id guess at a cracked pan or misguided aim.

Try emptying the pan and see what happens - if it's tracking down from the cistern/ outlet it will show up then.

put some coloured water into the toilet cistern, flush it and you may see the route the water is taking. If its not visable from the cistern, or pan connection its possibly a crack in the toilet pan.

Haha that's what the missus said when I first noticed it! I pride myself on my above average aim, even when drunk I get it in the pan.... most of the time!

Anyway, it seems to be a slow leak - it build up over night and there isn't alot of water... but enough for me to notice it.

I've bought two different coloured toilet fresheners, put one in the pan and the other in the cistern... atleast I should be able to find out where it's coming from.

Thanks for the replies!

Ok I've found the source of the leak! The water is coming from the cistern very slowly through one of the fixing bolts that secures it to the pan. For now I've just tightly tied a cloth around the fixing bolt underneath the cistern which seems to have stopped water gathering under the toilet for the time being.

Should I just drain the cistern, clean and dry around the bolt in question and apply some kind of sealant before putting the bolt back in?

Thanks,
Ryan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Replace doughnut whilst fixing problem with the leaking bolt. Sealant? Only IF everything else fails. Then only if you dont want to take it apart again.

Replace close coupled kit or if bolts go through cistern replace them or mebee just try and nip them up

The bolts do go through the base of the cistern - once I remove the cistern I should be able to determine if the leak is getting through the bolts or through the donut between the cistern & pan right? Or would my best bet be to just replace the bolts and the donut to avoid having to take the cistern off again?

Cheers for the replies!

Are you sure the bolts go through the base of the cistern, rather than being on a bracket like the one on this link?

WC Close Coupling Kit | NoLinkingToThis

I'm certain as I can see the heads of the bolts when I lift the lid off the cistern.

I've removed the cistern from the pan and who ever installed the toilet has used silicon EVERYWHERE! Beginning to wish I'd just left it on with the cloth tied around the bolt.

One of the washers inside the cistern had deteriorated I'm guessing that's why I got the leak.

I've bought this and attempting to scrape away all the silicon away from the holes.

[DLMURL]http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/plumbing-supplies/toilet_fittings/-specificproducttype-cistern_fittings/Opella-Cistern-Close-Coupling-Bolt-Set-11477956[/DLMURL]

Thanks for the help guys.

diy bodge job using sillycone on anything on a toilet cistern. Sign of a poor un confident plumber if every joint has been covered, it tends to make seals work worse than better imo. scrape the stuff off and replace any damaged looking washers.

Ok good news, my old leak appears to be fixed - I've poured some water into the cistern and no signs of any water around any of the bolt fixings in the last 20 mins or so...

Though I now have a new leak - where I disconnected the inlet of the cistern from the water supply. There was some kind of sealing stuff all over the thread when I disconnected which came away from the pipe as I loosened the nut.

I'm guessing it was something like this?

[DLMURL="http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/plumbing-supplies/central_heating_fittings/-specificproducttype-tape/PlumbSure-PTFE-Tape-11477770?skuId=11988477"]PlumbSure PTFE Tape, 0000003889749[/DLMURL]

I'll nip and get some first thing and reconnect if so - if not what should I get haha? This is why I never became a tradesman! =D

Thanks for all the help guys!

Ryan.

if the thread was covered with ptfe its likely its not in a good condition and was cross threaded at some point. did you change the fibre washer?

if it continues to leak id consider swapping the valve for new. if possilbe and it will fit then fit one of these as it has a brass thread which is alot better than plastic pants.

Fluidmaster Brass Shank Bottom Entry Fill Valve | NoLinkingToThis

I'm not sure what the fibre washer is so I'm going to assume no haha!

I didn't change anything around the inlet, I have got a plastic thread on my valve - I'll go pick one of those up tomorrow!

Longest toilet repair in the world haha! =D

Thanks again mate.

fibre washer sits where the pipe/valve connects onto the bottom of the plastic thread (mating face between swivel and thread) the seal is not the thread but the flat end at the bottom. If that makes sense?

Forgot to update you guys!

I took the fitting apart again and there wasn't any kind of washer sitting on the flat bit of the pipe - not sure if it fell off without me noticing the first time I took it apart but there wasn't anything there.

I picked up the valve you recommended and some 99p fibre washers from Wilkos and everything is looking great now - no signs of any water for 2 days atleast!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Probably your main stopcock is not fitted the...
Replies
Views
Condensation drips from outside the cistern?
Replies
Views
B
Sometimes you have to think outside the box...
Replies
Views
Hi @Jim Goodenough I do have some yes , I did...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion for...
Replies
Views
Back