Water softener overflow drip | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water softener overflow drip in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Recently moved into a house with a Minimax water softener fitted which takes 2 4kg blocks of salt. Can't find model number.

There are 2 overflow pipes going into the drain, 1 copper and 1 plastic.

Just noticed the copper pipe seems to constantly drip slowly and wondered if this is normal? It's fed by a small bore plastic pipe from the back of the softener.

All seems to be working ok otherwise.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Anna

One of these pipes discharges brine to waste every time the softener regenerates. I suspect that this drip is the follow up from the regeneration, and nothing to worry about. The other pipe really is the overflow pipe, which should only produce water if there has been a malfunction with the softener. THIS is the one you should worry about!

Your observation that the dripping pipe emanates from a small bore plastic pipe confirms my diagnosis.

With most softener plumbing this brine regeneration outflow would not be seen as they are plumbed directly to waste.

The Minimax softener is one of the best on the market, coming from the Harvey factory. Just relax and enjoy the soft water, you have nothing to worry about.

Well, that sounded encouraging, Frelon, but the last day or so it's been a constant fast drip which is only stopped by bypassing the softener.

According to Harveys, there should never be any output from that pipe unless it's regenerating.

I'm happy removing it and taking it somewhere to be repaired - or happy to replace a part myself as a competent diy-er but would rather avoid paying a lot of money on callouts and unknown costs.

Hi Anna

This constant fast drip is not normal. Your information from Harvey's is correct. I would, however, not consider doing anything yourself, despite your confirmation about being a good DIYer. I am not a plumber, but like you a good DIYer, and owner of various water softeners over the past 40 years!

Harvey's, or their local Minimax agent, would (should) be able to know exactly what the problem is and be able to effect a repair (I trust at a reasonable price). I see that although you were not the original purchaser (and these are not cheap softeners) I would like to think Harvey's would do the right thing and fix this problem.

Twin cylinder water softeners (without electric timers) are normally very reliable and should not need regular servicing.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

All Harveys want to tell me is that I need a callout at about £90 per hour + parts + VAT. No thanks.

Similar story from most other companies - obviously they've got to make a living and won't even hint at what I might need to replace.

However, a company called Pure Choice suggested I need to replace the shuttle and brine valve which comes as a service kit for around £50. Although they said it can be fiddly, should be a diy job.

they have a similar principle to a ballvalve and its normally a diaphragm type letting by that fills the salt box. (sorry for incorrect terminoligy)
i have never changed one myself only referred it to someone that repairs softners

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Noise seems to stop when softener is bypassed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Well it kept behaving the same until the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Difficult to tell from the photo, but might...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Thanks for Info
Replies
Views
Could be the expansion relief or an overflow...
Replies
Views
Back