Water softener | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water softener in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have a customer who wants a water softener but I Can't find one small enough to go under her kitchen sink as there is also a sink disposal unit there. The space available under the sink is h=52cm w=26cm depth= 39cm. So does anyone know of a water softener I can get to fit in this space? I can't locate the softener anywhere else in the house as it will cause too much disruption routing a cold mains pipe to the sink and outside tap. The only other thing I thought about was locating it outside? If all pipe work was lagged sufficiently and the unit was put in housing which was also insulated do you thi this would've a possibility? Has anyone done anything similar?

Look ok forward to your ideas and comments
thanks

I have a brochure in the van....I have one in my house. No salt, water regeneration or electricity. Replace post filter annually( £10) and resin every 3-5 years depending on the CLEANLINESS of the water not the hardness. There are different models, 15mm tank fed, 22mm etc. you need a plus model if you're in East Anglia region. Off hand i believe it is 490mm high.

Cut the bottom and the back, put it in another unit or remove the disposal unit.

if you want an extra pair of eyes id pop along.

you could look at something like nocalc but tbh i would say a harveys water softener.

Put the softener outside like you suggested. They do make a housing for them. I know someone who fits kinetico softeners and they put them in a housing. Just Google it and it should give you more info.

Removing disposal unit is not an option as it is brand new, also I'm not having trouble finding one height wise to fit in, it is more width to fit in with the disposal unit? There is no back to the unit there are just the waste pipes that will back to the wall, so I can't go any further back either? I will take a look at the monarch scale out thanks. Also look into putting outside as this would be easiest option and still leave customer with kitchen cupboard. Thanks everyone

First question is how many people normally in the property, to find out which capacity unit is required. You will definitely have to cut he bottom on the unit out as it is unlikely to carry the weight. The smallest unit that I know of which can do up to 14 people is a KINETICO twin port unit. Works on a mechanical water meter and switches alternately on the ports. Also no electrics on it, so not a lot to go wrong.

Last edited:
34216.jpg
Kinetico 2020

Have recently fitted a couple of 'aquabion' salt less water softeners, the same as an inline one so will have the space, no salt, no electric, no drain and no separate hard water to sink/outside taps.
only bad thing with them are the price! Not cheap but still cheaper than a traditional softener.
only time will tell if their worth their money.

Has anyone else used the nocalc scale inhibitors or aquaribion? Cheers regs man the property is a bungalow with one lady and kids that pop in and stay from time to time. I will, have a look at the kinetico.

Also so where her son fitted the sink disposal unit he couldn't fit the sink overflow pipe to the spigot on the disposal unit as overflow pipe to small, anyone know what I can use to connect the two together. Need a rubber sleeve or something? Anyone used something in the past to do this?

Thanks

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Just in case you were still wondering...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Can drill joists up to 1/4 of their depth...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Soil comes into the building at 45. I was...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Well it kept behaving the same until the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Anything but a proper softener is just a...
Replies
Views
Back