Water softner | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water softner in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hello,any one got any experience with water softners ?
Are they a good idea ?
Can they cause problems to appliances such as boilers ?
I live in an area with hard water myself and was thinking of fitting one,then thought about all my thousands of neighbours !

I've had (the same) one for 20+ years. Good points are complete absence of limescale on baths / showers etc. and economy of soap / detergent. Bad points are space required for the softener (mine's an old Permutit), the need to store 250Kg (could be less) of salt, to pay for same salt and to refill softener once a moth. My system is an old Potterton boiler (Kingfisher, CI heat exchanger) with vented system. Boiler feed and DHW is softened.
Not sure if it would be worthwhile with a more modern boiler: Some boiler manufacturers apparently don't like softened water, as there may be tiny traces of salt. For a combi, you'd need to check that that the pressure and flow after the water softener were sufficient for the boiler to provide acceptable DHW flow.

Must be one tap (usually kitchen sink) on unsoftened water.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Any pictures of how you’ve installed it ?
Replies
Views
  • Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Worked a treat. Thank you so much Running...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
V
  • Question
As above, and did you check the suitability of...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back