Water tank size | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Water tank size in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

I'm doing up my first house which is a large victorian terrace and need to install a new water tank in the loft. It only supplies the hot water system (cold is from the mains). Can anybody tell me how I calculate the size I'd need as the old one is basically an old baby's bath :blush2:

The house is 5 floors, currently 2 bathrooms (bath, shower, basin, toliet), 1 wc (sink and toilet). Then there is the kitchen and a laundry room which has 2 sinks.

I'm planning on moving it into the loft space so I'd need it to be a coffin tank as the opening to the loft is tiny. I'm looking at the 25gallon one, do you reckon this will be sufficient?

Hope you can help!

Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

It'll be well supported as I'm making an atomic bomb proof structure for it to live on.

I don't plan on having any power showers so shouldn't need a pump as the house has excellent water pressure.

I was planning on doing the job myself as I've done quite a few other plumbing jobs before building up to this one, which regulations are you referring to?

anyone else thinking unvented cylinder would be perfect ?

anyone else thinking unvented cylinder would be perfect ?

Yes, - so obvious if the OP is correct about the pressure and if a plumber could confirm the flow rates then should be the cheapest and best way by far to fit an unvented cylinder. Buying a new cold water tank and kit, plus all new pipework, pipe insulation, valves, overflow pipe, etc, alone would cost a fair bit.
Needs a G3 plumber but and not DIY.
If the OP does still go with a traditional gravity hot water system, I would go with reasonably large cwt capacity - 50 gallon min. You need storage for when mains water if off, that's why they are called cold water storage tanks.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
which must be protected by a RCD new circuit...
Replies
Views
  • Question
hi have been a plumber for 50 years this month...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If this is pumping over or expansion from the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Take flow readings where ever you can. Just...
Replies
Views
Back