water tray for cylinder ? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss water tray for cylinder ? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

hi guys, does anyone make a tray that a cylinder can sit on with an overflow pipe on it in case it leaks? , never seen it done before, sounds abit nuts but this is for a fortic cylinder {storage tank directly on top} thats in a loft, there whole ceiling is being re done as the previous one leaked ,so this has to be 100% fool proof and future proof, im actually going to use a plastic lid from a storage box with some ply inside for the cylinder to sit on so the heat doesnt soften the lid and then cut in an over flow fitting on the up stand, other then the plastic softening from the heat cant see any problems with doing this? cheers...

hi guys, does anyone make a tray that a cylinder can sit on with an overflow pipe on it in case it leaks? , never seen it done before, sounds abit nuts but this is for a fortic cylinder {storage tank directly on top} thats in a loft, there whole ceiling is being re done as the previous one leaked ,so this has to be 100% fool proof and future proof, im actually going to use a plastic lid from a storage box with some ply inside for the cylinder to sit on so the heat doesnt soften the lid and then cut in an over flow fitting on the up stand, other then the plastic softening from the heat cant see any problems with doing this? cheers...

You are probably struggling to find such a product as its a silly idea IMO

Just make sure its installed correctly and the overflow pipe from the storage tank on top is fitted properly, hold the float down and test the overflow if needs be.

Just make sure its installed correctly and the overflow pipe from the storage tank on top is fitted properly, hold the float down and test the overflow if needs be.

yes and no (its a practical idea) the Americans use them

I've seen plenty here. In fact one local housing association insists on them. But where you get them I have no idea!

tbh make one

IMG_0233.JPG

bit of 1.2 ss or glv bend 4 corners and weld up and drill and install a taping

A lot of large old houses have them. Generally made of copper or lead, with a waste to outside.
You have been unfortunate to gave a leak, but these are quite rare. If installed well, your unlikely to have it happen again. So I wouldn't bother.

I had to make up these when I worked in NZ. An accepted cheat seemed to be fold and rivet corners of the galv sheet with a bit of silicon to seal. Upstands made high enough to fit either 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 waste overflow. Galv , guillotine and sheet folders all available for use in the various suppliers. Doubt you find that over here....

we use these all the time in refrigeration for defrost drip trays, any duct fabricator will make these any size for minimal cost

even leaky washing machines

i think every possible angle should be covered to prevent damages from plumbing, iv been on insurance rip out jobs where plumbing has completely destroyed houses even when installed correctly things can and will go wrong wont be tomorrow or next week but in a few years time maybe?

yea found this on US ebay Water Heater Drip Pan 24" Dia Plastic 3VU58 | eBay
seems like the americans are quite fund of them , well i already got a plastic storage lid with a 2" up stand which is flat , so long as the ply can protect it from the heat it should be fine , cheers

I had to make up these when I worked in NZ. An accepted cheat seemed to be fold and rivet corners of the galv sheet with a bit of silicon to seal. Upstands made high enough to fit either 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 waste overflow. Galv , guillotine and sheet folders all available for use in the various suppliers. Doubt you find that over here....

used them all the time in Australia,as their unvented units don't have an expansion vessel ,so it drips when heating up.

funnily enough, I have just had to connect up an overflow tray and pipe the drain off to the outside for the rnli, underneath a heat pump in the attic. local blacksmith type made up the tray but used a bit of 18mm tube for the drain off connection, *******. If you get one made up, ensure they stick some little legs on it, to make your life easier to connect the drain on to the overflow piework/

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks Chuck. The cylinder was supplied by BG...
Replies
Views
  • Question
One more that can happen the heating coil in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
No not sure on my pressure, think I am going...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, both. Good tips. Will give them a go.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
Back