water wouldn't stop running, hot and cold... | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss water wouldn't stop running, hot and cold... in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

HoodedClaw

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Went to a simple basin connect in cloakroom in a 1880's terrace house.

Went to do cold first, there was a lead pipe out the ground with stopcock looking like it feed the cloakroom/utility room alone with a really handy rain valve just above it. Turn it off, open valve water comes out... water comes out.. 10lts of water out... ok - its not stopping - just a trickle 0.5lt a min. , open stopcock, gushes as expected, go outside, turn off mains to house.. same trickle, turn on stopcock still a trickle. I couldn't stop it.

Figure ok - lets look at hot - into airing - close gate valve to cylinder, drain taps.. trickle - same as cold. close of riser to tank, drain tank.. still a trickle.

Took many attempts to finally get a solder on the cold T, just wouldn't drain with the drainvalve open too.

The hot I left the taps open and just cut the pipe where I wanted and cut again to throw a service valve on, got soaked but least I could solder after.

Not nice.. I'm thinking maybe a burst pipe forcing just enough water up the pipes but hot and cold?

I couldn't get into the loft space to see what was happening there, thats why the riser had a valve in the airing.

any thoughts?

Antony.

Thinking about this overnight, I was at the house last month to clean the washing machine drain, turned out it was heavely silted up, I ran a snake down it and pulled out what i could, at the time I couldnt identify the silt, thick heavy fine sand, grey without smell, and talking to the custard they have a lot of silt in the water after a main burst up the road.

I had to cut into the same waste further down and the cross section is 1/4 full of this silt.

I'm thinking it has to be a burst pipe sucking in silt, but unless its burst both their's and also on the main I cant see how the taps still tricckle after the mains in off at the road.

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the reply and information so far...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Left looking at the mixer is the usual side...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Are you sure the taps arnt off the mains as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you, I’ll do just that. Much appreciated
Replies
Views
Back