WB Boiler Question | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss WB Boiler Question in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leep

I've recently had a new Worcester Bosch combi condensing boiler fitted.

This is probably a bit of a weird question but there's a cardboard strip fitted inside the boiler if you look from underneath that says something like 'all pipes to be fitted within this space'. Should this have been left in after the fit? Will the hot water pipes that sit against it not be a fire risk?

I know nothing about this kind of thing so please excuse my ignorance! :confused:

no thats the jig template, that shouldunt be behind the boiler as it a combustile material, get the fitter back who installed the boiler to come back and sort it out.

i take it they were gas safe registerd??

The jig template? Yes, plumber is gas safe registered.

It kind of looks like it's fitted onto the boiler - but seems a bit strange to keep there after fitting? As I said, I know nothing about this kind of thing so appreciate any opinions :)

the boiler comes in two parts, one's the jig, and ones the boiler, before fixing the jig to the wall and core drilling for the flue you must offer the jig template up to the wall to get your correct markings for fixing and drilling.

cant really understand how theyve managed to do that unless theyve screwed through the template.

hope this helps.

p.s could you take a picture and post on here to give us a bit more info

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... doesn't sound like that. If you look up from underneath it runs horizontally across the boiler - like a 'dont put pipes in front of this line' type thing.

Looks like it's been made to fit there, just struck me as a bit odd... but might be wrong.

when they are in there original packaging they come with cardboard cutouts inside the boiler aswell as the boiler template, actually come to think of it on w bosch the template is paper, could you possibly take a pic and post on here and we will be able to assist more.

I know exactly what it is. Its a bit of cardboard thats not exactly attached, but more like wedged into the jig. Just makes sure you dont run the pipes to far away from the wall so they dont hit on plate heat exchanger and PRV handle.

Anyhow it shouldnt be there. Should be removed before boiler goes onto jig. So if you cant reach up and pull it out (which I doubt you can) its boiler off time.

In all fairness its not exactly going to go catching fire but I wouldnt want it left in there.

Thanks for your replies!

Please see where the arrow is pointing to in the picture ('A') for what I'm on about.

Picture1.png

It won't catch fire but fish it out with a bit wire. It is just sitting there and has a tab bent down each side behind the pipe jig.
If you can't get it yourself the installer will get it out in 2 minutes.

It won't catch fire but fish it out with a bit wire. It is just sitting there and has a tab bent down each side behind the pipe jig.
If you can't get it yourself the installer will get it out in 2 minutes.
technically its an a.r. riddor reportable then.?.combustible material.

If it were me I wouldn't worry about it but maybe mention it at the next service.

Hmmm - but reading above post ... seems like I've got something wrong again.

Perhaps I'd better do a gas course ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've recently had a new Worcester Bosch combi condensing boiler fitted.

This is probably a bit of a weird question but there's a cardboard strip fitted inside the boiler if you look from underneath that says something like 'all pipes to be fitted within this space'. Should this have been left in after the fit? Will the hot water pipes that sit against it not be a fire risk?

I know nothing about this kind of thing so please excuse my ignorance! :confused:
no its just a template to show how to run the pipes upwards if required , cos if you put your pipes outside these marks the boiler hits them when you hang the boiler on its mounting frame , dump it , er i mean recycle it

at risk appliance , i very much doubt it would ever catch fire but im sure makers would want it removed , suprised makers didnt mention it

Two issues that set alarm bells. First off you have a worcester junior fitted by the looks of it cheap cut down awkward version of the half decent CDI machines. Secondly this should have been removed. If you take the front cover off these boilers there is usually cardboard packaging in them as well. I wonder if that is still there as well.

Not so cheap but certainly cheaper than a CDi.

It has probably just been an oversight. This bit cardboard is sitting on the jig to show where pipes can be run if rising upwards. It could? be easily overlooked when hanging the boiler to the jig. It won't go on fire but fish it out anyway for piece of mind.
Using bit wire, a knitting needle, bit of stick or whatever push the card upwards about 2" at each edge. This will remove it from the sides then pull it down and out. If you are unsure get the installer to pop back and do it. He will do it another way but it will take him 2 minutes.

I guess cheap was harsh but a junior vs a ecotech pro is night and day. The Vaillant is a much better machine. This is an Si anyway, still not as good as an ecotech pro.

It probably is an oversight and really isn't an issue. My comment regarding the cardboard are unfounded as the case needs to come of to connect the expansion vessel and the condensate trap, Worcester's punishment for not buying a CDI is you have to assemble half the boiler, so you would see the additional packaging.

dont know how you could rate this as ar.how many people take the wallpaper of when installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
Thanks for your response, they're dreyton...
Replies
Views
Hi appreciate and thanks to all that replied...
Replies
Views
I'm sorry it's been difficult reading. Is this...
Replies
Views
It’s ok aslong as the internal trap is the...
Replies
Views
Back