Weird shower drain - how to unblock? | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Weird shower drain - how to unblock? in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi, shower hasn't been draining properly recently, not blocked but slow to drain.

Can anyone please explain to me what's going on in the drain? There is some sort of pipe/cylinder running crossways directly under the waste. Not what I expected to see (but am DIY novice).

Not sure best way to clear blockage, any help appreciated, thanks.

p.s. shower tray is a Mira non-slip acrylic one if that's relevant.

IMG_1422.JPG IMG_1423.JPG

I think you’ll find that it is part of the integral trap within the fitting. Some fittings are called ‘turbo’ or ‘fast flow’ and they have a internal trap. I have a similar idea on mine and when the flow gets restricted by hair etc I place a sink plunger over the outlet (while I am having a shower) this fills up the tray and then just give the plunger a go. This clears any build up in the fitting and the and the water in the tray washes it all away.

Upvote 0
I think you’ll find that it is part of the integral trap within the fitting. Some fittings are called ‘turbo’ or ‘fast flow’ and they have a internal trap. I have a similar idea on mine and when the flow gets restricted by hair etc I place a sink plunger over the outlet (while I am having a shower) this fills up the tray and then just give the plunger a go. This clears any build up in the fitting and the and the water in the tray washes it all away.
Thanks for the help, will give that a go, cheers

Upvote 0
You cant take it apart to clean. Don't undo the 2 screws as this sandwiches the trap to the tray. A big plunger is the best option.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I already took the screws out to have a look. Noticed some old silicon sealant around the rim where the top bit slots in. Do I have a problem now???

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Adding some photos of the shower waste. It’s...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There might be some broken glass on there. Try...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Another idea, can you not put a separate drain...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would tend to agree with snowhead the...
Replies
Views
Back