Weird soil stack set-up, how to do new connection? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Weird soil stack set-up, how to do new connection? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Muzz

Hi,

I am looking to install a 2nd bathroom upstairs into my new house (new to me, built 1985) so have been examining my current set-up.

To me the soil stack seems a little odd and am not sure if i can connect into it safely. I think it may have been set-up like this so that the soil stack would not run on the outside of the house and the vent would go through the roof at the back of the house.

I've drawn a diagram to explain it better, but basically i can see the partially covered soil stack in the corner of the airing cupboard in the downstairs bathroom, i've estimated that the soil stack appears under the middle of the bedroom above's floor, so takes a 90 turn, under the floor to the eaves, then I can see it take another 90 turn up and out through the roof.

What I don't know is what it does under the downstairs bathroom floor as the floor is fully tiled (onto suspended timber floor)

Is it safe to assume that the section under the bathroom floor will have the required falls.

Assumming i can make a connection to the soil pipe under the 1st floor bedroom floor, but below the level of the side that leads to the vent so the waste doesn't collect in that pipe, is this legal?

And I take it that it's ok to send shower and sink waste down the soil pipe?

I can guess that the answer is going to be pull up the bathroom floor for a look, but it will be interesting to see if anyone has seen an arrangement like this. :)

Attachments

• soil pipe.JPG
    soil pipe.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 72
Muzz
Is there any existing wastes connected to the soil pipe at first floor level?

whats the craic.
work away with the toilet,shower and hand basin.as long as the vent can draw in air and u tie the waste for the toilet lower than the other 2. there will b no bother.can u get a slight fall on all 3.

Muzz
Is there any existing wastes connected to the soil pipe at first floor level?

No, just the ground floor toilet which is positioned next to an exterior wall.

whats the craic.
work away with the toilet,shower and hand basin.as long as the vent can draw in air and u tie the waste for the toilet lower than the other 2. there will b no bother.can u get a slight fall on all 3.

yeah, should be able to get a fall on all, shower will be the trickiest as it will be the furthest away from the stack and the lowest starting point

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

No problem with the 900mm from openings as it...
Replies
Views
Yes it’s doable but I suspect it wouldn’t be...
Replies
Views
Hi Steve, Thanks for posting. Could you post...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
here is an update of job finished , i ran a...
Replies
Views
Back