Weird thing dangling in cold water tank | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Weird thing dangling in cold water tank in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

V

virtualmick

Hi all,

So I have a problem with my ball valve so my cold water tank is overflowing. Probably a knackered washer, but that's a different story.

The odd thing is that when looking in the tank I found something hooked into the insulation strapping and floating inside. it looks ceramic with what I thought was a cork top but actually I think it might be rubber. Pictures attached hopefully.

Now my initial thought was that a gangster lived in my house before me and has stored stolen diamonds in my tank. Result! But I suppose the reality is that it might be plumbing related - any thoughts? Might try and pop it open at the weekend, unless someone tells me it's essential to my house infrastructure and will release cyanide gas.

Cheers!
M

IMG_20150910_204223.jpgIMG_20150910_204208.jpg

Thanks - Yep, sorry the pics aren't better! I was balanced at the top of a step ladder at the top of my stairs, weird object in one hand, phone in the other and 2 feet of water beneath both. Interesting that it's not immediately recognisable to those in the know. If I find £50 notes inside, pints are on me.

A sealed ceramic container held in a metal frame hooked over edge of water tank and into the water can most likely be one thing, - drugs holder! Could be a massive wad of cash though!

I do indeed...outskirts of London. Do these things have a life expectancy? Should I get rid of it?

Just replaced the ball valve (a part 1 for a part 2). My first bit of plumbing ever! Not had the balls to turn the mains water back on yet. Waiting for the missus to get back from the shops so I can yell "TURN IT OFF" if water goes everywhere. If it works I'll feel like I've completed one step towards true manhood. And I'm 41.

I do indeed...outskirts of London. Do these things have a life expectancy? Should I get rid of it?

Just replaced the ball valve (a part 1 for a part 2). My first bit of plumbing ever! Not had the balls to turn the mains water back on yet. Waiting for the missus to get back from the shops so I can yell "TURN IT OFF" if water goes everywhere. If it works I'll feel like I've completed one step towards true manhood. And I'm 41.

Sounds like its a water softener then, i'd sling it and get a new one or inline one if you need it

As to the ball valve, just turn the main on, if you've tightened everything up it should be fine, and if there is a leak it'll only be a drip so wont flood the place

Similar plumbing topics

S
  • Question
Fitting neg pressure pumps may be the answer.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Brilliant, thanks for your help
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would suggest getting a G3 plumber in to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes potentially your existing pipework could...
Replies
Views
Back