well suction negative pressure | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss well suction negative pressure in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

B

buzzz49

My pump is lifting water about 20 to 25 ft through 1-1/4" pipe at about 800' above sea level. Can anyone calculate the negative pressure at the pump for me? I'm just not that bright. I've recently installed a check valve near the pump and am having some issues with the system sucking air in and losing prime. Just curious to know what numbers I'm up against.

How is the pump primed??, some pumps have a foot (non return) valve in the bottom of the pipe to keep it full of water when the pump stops, if its only loosing the prime when pumping then it may be pumping at too high a flow resulting in insufficient NPSH, see below, can you post a link to your pump.

All pumps require a NPSH (net positive suction head) of ~ 0.5M (or so), it will be in the pump manual.
The NPSH is the atmospheric pressure (absolute) - the suction lift - the suction pipe friction losses.
Normal atmospheric pressure (absolute) is 1013mb, at 800ft elevation it will be ~ 992mb, 9.92M, suction lift is 25ft, 7.6M, if your 1.25ins pipe is 1ins ID, then the friction loss through 25ft would be ~ 1M when pumping 50LPM, so the NPSH will be 9.92-7.6-1.0, 1.32M which should be adequate, (pump details will tell).
Theoretically the negative pressure will be the height from the pump suction to the well water level, say 25ft=7.6M=0.76bar,11.0PSI with no pumping, and 7.6+1.0, 8.6M,0.86bar,12.4PSI when/if pumping @ 50LPM.

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Red circles show my new AAVs and the manual...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
R
  • Question
You should see "attach files" like below.
Replies
Views
Back