What are these little taps called? | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What are these little taps called? in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
And do I need to isolate the electrical supply/check it's dead before replacing? I'm hoping not as don't have any equipment or know-how to do so.

Thanks

109755587_3220056844717115_141142197472126264_n.jpg

It's just an ISO really but needs to control flow to maintain temp through the heater.
Not sure of proper name but I call it a water heater valve but you might be able to get the same result with an ISO that has a small lever on like the kind of lever on most washing machine valves, would be fiddly to get right though.
My local merchants do them and knew what I wanted when I asked for a water heater valve :)
As for electrical isolation, yes isolate it, it should be on its own spur so shouldn't be difficult. The part you'll be working on won't be live but you don't want it kicking in when there's no water in the hex.

And do I need to isolate the electrical supply/check it's dead before replacing? I'm hoping not as don't have any equipment or know-how to do so.
Thanks

Might I suggest you do get some equipment and know-how? Equipment not that expensive (£20 upwards), safe isolation course - again not that expensive if you look around. Also check this out https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/media/1201/best-practice-guide-2-issue-3.pdf. You also have a duty of care/responsibility, possibly under the hasawa (health and safety at work act), but certainly the electricity at work regulations.

Looks the the electrode fitting are leaking as well

So what's the verdict, don't touch unless I have ability to check it's all is dead using proper testing equipment?

Happy to pass it on, not worth it if it's not best practise. Which is why I aksed.

Didn't notice any wet anywhere else other than the little tap Shaun, so perhaps it's sealed itself up?

He’s only changing the leaky valve so it’s only to stop the element burning out :D

He’s only changing the leaky valve so it’s only to stop the element burning out :D

I’m guessing myself and mfgs misinterpreted what was said, I wasn’t thinking the whole unit’s getting replaced. In which case, no need to prove dead for a water component, on a water pipe.

Similar plumbing topics

Well the happy price is just over 11k for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would just ask them. Yes a bridge mixer is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You on a combi, unvented cylinder or gravity...
Replies
Views
The answer is always obvious,, once you know it.
Replies
Views
Take the jumper out and sell it in a grot...
Replies
Views
Back