What Boiler shoud I buy? General advice from the qualified guys. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What Boiler shoud I buy? General advice from the qualified guys. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

gasmanrob

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Re: Further to what boiler.

It's relatively easy to weed out the snakes when you have people round to quote. Initially don't ask too many questions just observe their actions for example if I was to be installing a combination boiler in a property I would check the flow rate at 2 outlets 1 upstairs 1 downstairs this would give me an idea of restrictions on the pipework ie long runs with lots of bends and the size of boiler suitable for a property taking in to consideration the number of bathrooms etc (there is no point fitting a 40kw boiler in a 3 bed house with a flow rate of 10 litres a minute but yes I have seen it done!) equally in a 4 bed house with bathroom, ensuite and utility with 3 daughters and a flow rate of 18litres a minute it's a contender. Also I'd check the standing pressure. Next I'd be looking at gas supply meter capacity, pipe size and possible route for new pipe if needed. Then the condensate pipe and fluing options. This gives me a short list of possible suitable appliances.

now it's time to talk with customer, what are your behaviours habits and living demands like? What are your expectations from your new system and is there anything on your current system that isn't working or causing concerns from that I could select an appliance suitable for your needs

then i could inform you of its benefits over other similar options extended warranties, installer partnerships offering enhanced manufacturer support and what I can do as an installer to increase your boilers life. Full system flush, magnetic system filter, inline scale reducer, adding drain off valves where none are present (making future maintenance easier) increasing pipework size in parts to improve performance of heating/hot water where applicable.

ask your installer if they would be interested in carrying out the annual service? I gladly service all boilers installed by me. Why wouldn't I it's repeat business and it stops my customers using someone else.

its important to also say it's not just flushing the system and adding chemicals that signifies a good job done. It's also about your safety. The gas pipework needs to carry the correct amount of gas to supply that particular appliance. Long flue runs need to be clamped and be able to be inspected if they are to be boxed in. Pipework should be neat, thought out and supported.

Ask for pictures of previous work. Anyone that does a sterling job has at least one or two pictures of installs on there phones. Were egotistical heating engineers with a perverse sense of pride and self satisfaction with a job done well. We'd be glad to show off some nice shiny pipes with clips all in a row at he same level And the catastrophe that was there before we started.

also how is there appearance jogging bottoms and rigger boots should send out alarm bells. How does the person quoting make you feel in your own home? Do you feel at ease have they taken time to answer any questions or suggest improvements if a pipe needs to be run on a surface have they discussed it's possible route ie close to the skirting board and not 4ft up the wall over your wall mounted plasma.

but expect to pay a sensible amount of money for a sterling service and quality products but above all peace of mind and a system that will perform safely and happily for many years

Last edited:
This thread is for expert advice only to help you go about choosing a new system. Not for general banter,

And certainly not for "I have this, do I need that?" type questions.

This is for the benefit of the householder, please help us keep it tidy.

There is nowt wrong with jogging bottoms and riggers, if a tradesman turns up smelling of eau da toilet with shiney shoes driving a bmw i would be more worried personally.

Most of the best tradesmen ive worked with have been scruff bags. But very clean and tidy workers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Any gas boiler's HEX can stand a static head...
Replies
Views
Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
GREENSTAR CDi CLASSIC Worcester Bosch...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Hi, thanks for the reply, that did cross my...
Replies
Views
Back