What is causing water hammer in my flat? | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What is causing water hammer in my flat? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hello

I wonder can anyone shed any light on what is becoming an annoying problem?

I had a new stopcock installed in my second floor flat a year ago. This was intended to stop water hammer which had been taking place. However, recently the water hammer has returned and from what I can tell it occurs when water is used in the flat below mine, and possibly in other flats as well. The noise is a banging or crunching of metal sound and it can be quite loud.

But, I cannot work out is why this is happening, and this is where I seek advice. Could the water hammer, if that is what it is, be the result of a vibration in the pipes because of water usage, water pressure or an air gap? If this is so, where might it be occurring?

Water in my flat is delivered via a dedicated pipe which rises through the building. This pipe is, as far as I know, isolated from the other flats which have their own respective pipes. Whether these pipes branch from a common supply which connects to the mains, or if they are connected directly to the mains, is not something I know.

Any advise would be appreciated ...

Thanks

Mr Gwent.

How old is the block of flats? What makes you think you have a separate riser? That should mean less noise from neighbours and exact point of connection below is not likely to make much difference.
Hearing neighbours turning off taps is common but that's a brief sound. Banging in pipes more serious as you've
experienced before but crunching metal sound?

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Definitely worth checking the clipping...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for the reply and information so far...
Replies
Views
  • Question
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Having thought about it i'm sure there is a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
All helpful possibilities cheers, I'm hoping...
Replies
Views
Back