What is the best way to drain down the heating system if there is no drain valve ? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What is the best way to drain down the heating system if there is no drain valve ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

northstar

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
What is the best way to drain down the heating system if there is no drain valve ?

Re: What is the best way to drain down the heating system if there is no drain valve

take off the smallest rad then drain thru the trv/lockshield
bob

Re: What is the best way to drain down the heating system if there is no drain valve

find bottom rad preferably with no carpets, turn off both valves , drain rad , hook washing machine hose or connect up to rad and open valves whilst bleeding top rads.

exactly how i would do it

steve

Had a question like this earlier today ...

So, alternatively ...

Buy a wet vacuum - one tool in the van I just can't do without and when I work with one of my friends (also a plumber) he's always asking me to fetch it. They cost around £70 but should last you at least two years (depending on use of course) and you'll probably use it for over half the jobs you go to, especially emptying WC cisterns - only takes about a minute for that job.

Back to radiators ...

Turn off water supply to heating system.
Find convenient radiator to drain from.
Turn off both radiator valves.
Place towel under whole radiator (or two towels).
Undo bleed valve a little and apply wet vacuum.
Suck.
Stop vacuum when water level below bleed valve.
Undo valve nuts a fraction then do up again.
Undo one valve nut and apply wet vacuum.
Empty radiator.
Tighten bleed valve.
Undo other valve nut (at other end).
Empty radiator.
Establish no water coming out of pipes through valves.
Hook wet vacuum over one end of radiator to capture remaining water and turn on.
Lift radiator and tip towards vacuum.
Turn radiator over and store.
Make an attachment for your hose pipe to valve.
Attach hose pipe and run it outside,
Open valve and drain.
And hardly a drop spilt in the whole process!

Some of this is teaching you to suck eggs but this is how it works for me if I can't find a drain point.

Freeze a suitable pipe a foot apart of both freezing points, cut and insert a comp t and doc, open doc, no mess no problems in future and you dont have mess around with rads etc and heavy old george can stay in the van

I always do the above method with George. :D

You can get a self cutting drain cock but they only cut an 8mm hole so takes longer to drain. If you use one then replace with a proper one once drained and keep the other one for next time.

I always do the above method with George. :D

You can get a self cutting drain cock but they only cut an 8mm hole so takes longer to drain. If you use one then replace with a proper one once drained and keep the other one for next time.[/QUOte

Dont chippies use self cuttig drain cocks in the form of 6" nails, they leave an 8mm hole

If you only need top floor drained or a part drain.

Top of rad if there is a 1/2 bsp blank or bleed valve, turn off rad both ends.take out either side, Tape up and wind in a threaded drain off.

Quick as you like!

if its a full drain then there are a few good ideas up the thread

Warren

the easiest way is to take a floorboard up near a heating pipe and slice it asunder ;) let it soak away into the subfloor. thats the easiest way

I'm with Phil & Old Plumber, wouldn't be without those self cutting drain cocks saved me hours over the years and no need to find that old drain cock that is secreted under a floor and only known to the origonal installer.

The lowest rad isolate take rad off wall drain through lockshield job done ;)

Those self cutting drain offs leak like crazy over time! Just turn both valves off, connect a 15mm equal rad valve or 15mm with 3/4 tail connection to the rad with a bit of 1/2" pipe connected with the hose pipe and jubillee clip, then open the other side of rad valve and there we go, DRAINING (dnt forget your towels )

I go with the self cutting drain cock, and then replace it with a proper one once the system has drained (and the self cutter goes back in the tool kit!)

turn off both valves, keep the bleed vent closed, towel under the valves and undo. you get a couple of drips then the rad airlocks itself and can be lifted off with help and turned upside down, carried outside and emptied. the rest has already been said

You obviously not had that radiator valve that doesn,t shut off properly due to muck, age etc ( or open back up) - why bother taking the chance when you can drain it down first time with a self cutter- no mess and no agro

i dont know if anyone has said this but, i use a self tapping washing machine tap, connect it to the lowest point and stick a hose on it.

I made a little gizmo that I couldn't do without now. Get an old washing m/c hose and cut the bent end off, bit of ptfe on and it fits snugly into a hose pipe with a jubilee clip for draining from the old valve connections

105.jpg

Last edited:
How come nobody uses a hoselock connection on to a lockshield

Always keep one on the back of my van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i do i've got a brass one to last longer. does very well and you can direct the flow into a bucket

i also use a hozelock. the bit just clicks on and off the little bit of hose i use to connect taps together to blow airlocks out of gravity hot water. put it on the long hose and drain off! easy...

i do also use a self cutter though for when all the downstairs rads are a bit on the large side for faffing about with

and plumbers are the fellows who think floors will stay put with 2" drains through all the joists..... (all trades are guilty of not considering other requirements....)!

Holy thread resurrection batman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks a lot, put lots more turns on + some...
Replies
Views
Hi Thanks for posting your question. If...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I...
Replies
Views
If you are paranoid, refill, circulate and...
Replies
Views
You’re 200 miles away - he is there. You’re...
Replies
Views
Back