What is this boiler noise? Is it dangerous? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What is this boiler noise? Is it dangerous? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

In the last few days our boiler has started making a strange vibrating noise for about 10 seconds at a time every now and then (sometimes every few hours, sometimes more often). I’ve made a video – the vibrating noise begins on about 30 seconds:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ImAIxBVR8VJZD31OYnQfX2zzkKZdpF2/view

Not being qualified or competent with such things, I’ve done nothing myself other than a). bleed the radiators, and b). check the external pipe for obstructions, and I most certainly won't be doing anything else.

I’m assuming I need a boiler engineer, but a few quick questions:

1. Is it dangerous and/or urgent (to avoid damage)? In other words, while I’m waiting for the engineer, should I turn the boiler off or is it ok to keep on?

2. Should I ask for a service, or a repair? Is it likely that the service will remedy the problem?

3. Any idea what might be the cause?

Thanks in anticipation. :)

Needs sorting but you can wait a day or two eg if the engineer is busy but needs sorting

Repair when was the last time you had a service?

the boiler sorry can’t say any more incase someone try’s a diy repair as it’s an open forum

Yep, pressure is in green. It was about 1.5 bar, I bled the radiators bringing it down to pretty much zero, then brought it up to 1.0. Whatever the pressure is, it still vibrates. Sorry, I forgot to say, last service was just over 2 years ago - I know that's not ideal, just didn't get round to it last year. :(

I know you guy can't give too much detail in case it encourages someone to try an (illegal) DIY repair, but does it sound like it's like to be a very serious problem? Is it going to cost the earth to fix?

Last edited:
Wrong gas/air ratio can cause this when boiler is on low fire. Needs gas safe engineer.

Similar plumbing topics

Our boiler has started making a noise on start...
Replies
Views
C
Charlotte - the noise sounds more like the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
Thanks for your reply. The noise is right at...
Replies
Views
This problem occurs when it is very cold outside
Replies
Views
Oliver van der Togt
O
Back