what is this fitting | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss what is this fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambrosia

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
20150116_152541[1].jpg

right side is lead, left is copper

no lead lock so what type od fitting have they used and how do you do it

it was covered in paint and i didnt want to scratch the paint away to investigate further as it looked old and fragile, but its got my curiosity

That's not an approved fitting.

As above just copper into lead and not even a wiped joint.
It May be carefully soldered together.

It's Gas I assume?

its a lazy man's cup joint,copper pipe is tinned and inner lead pip cleaned and soldered together.does the job though...many said the full wiped joint was over the top ,especially on low pressure pipework

nah just feeds a toilet cistern

so you reckon they just forced the copper pipe into it and added solder

i almost never have to work on lead and wouldnt have a clue

A proper wiped joint between a piece of lead pipe & copper pipe, would have needed the lead flared out, scraped to shiney clean lead outside & inside first. Then the copper pipe tinned with proper lead solder & pushed into the lead pipe. Then the joint could be lead soldered to do a wiped joint, - or for anyone who would find that too hard, then just lead solder filled heavily at end & roughly wiped which I know as a cupped joint.
Tallow was used for "flux" and a piece of moleskin to wipe or pat the lead into shape, depending on your ability.

Last edited:
I only done sumfink like that once, most surprised when it held :lol:

Its a Q&D joint.

Quick and Dirty. How many decades do you reckon that "bodge" has held up for?

Its a Q&D joint.

Quick and Dirty. How many decades do you reckon that "bodge" has held up for?

Think I did that one in 1952..It was a saturday afternoon, if I remember correctly...just dropped off a round head cast iron bath to a flat on the fourth floor...dragged 18 stone of 1/2lead pipe to the flat below...ran 30 ft of 4'' soil cast up the outside of the building and threaded 14 steel pipe ends, ready for connection up the 1/4 ton column rad on the mod morning......give us some slack!!!!

Think I did that one in 1952..It was a saturday afternoon, if I remember correctly...just dropped off a round head cast iron bath to a flat on the fourth floor...dragged 18 stone of 1/2lead pipe to the flat below...ran 30 ft of 4'' soil cast up the outside of the building and threaded 14 steel pipe ends, ready for connection up the 1/4 ton column rad on the mod morning......give us some slack!!!!
Easy life :) respect

easy to forget how heavy plumbing used to be most of the boys on here couldnt fit a netaheat on their own mind you i doubt if i could now

easy to forget how heavy plumbing used to be most of the boys on here couldnt fit a netaheat on their own mind you i doubt if i could now

Early on in my career, I was unloading a lorry of Netaheats by hand with my mentor, John.

"You take the 3 pallets on the right" he said, "and I'll do the three on the left"

30 minutes later, I'm sweating like a navvy, and John is as fresh as a daisy, despite being at least half a pallet ahead of me.

It was only later that I realised that Netaheats came in two nearly identical boxes. One contained about 5 kgs of mild steel casing. The other contained the 50 kg cast iron heat-ex.

even taking them off a wall when inside a cupboard can be a challenge..... serious back breakers..... as for that joint its an early push fit!!!! :)

Last time I had to solder a joint of lead I was using bars of solders and a big orange gas bottle with a hose that could wrap round a van it was so long . Ah the good old days

Last time I had to solder a joint of lead I was using bars of solders and a big orange gas bottle with a hose that could wrap round a van it was so long . Ah the good old days

A bit like the days when a tradesmen could be trusted to be what he said he was ?
No companies pretending to be on the side of safety when all they care about is the bottom line just like all businesses really ?
Maybe one day people will be brave enough to stand up and say hey hang on a minute why are we doing this and paying you for it ?

What did you do after breakfast? ;)

Done loads like this in the past, if done properly will last for years ! still have some Mole skin kicking around in the shed & Stick solder

I still do a bit of cast iron work ! Still use the tarred rope etc. Make my own with bitumen sometimes !
Must admit I do cheat now and instead of lead wool or pouring lead tend to use sticks like sh*t as seems easier !
Did have a nice caulking iron but got lost somewhere .

I still do a bit of cast iron work ! Still use the tarred rope etc. Make my own with bitumen sometimes !
Must admit I do cheat now and instead of lead wool or pouring lead tend to use sticks like sh*t as seems easier !
Did have a nice caulking iron but got lost somewhere .

Got a couple of irons somewhere, thin one for getting the rope in and the stubby one for the lead , did a lot of spun cast around Plymouth area years back,

I've got some caulking irons hiding in the garage somewhere. Also got the rope thingy that allows you to pour a horizontal joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
HI Basher UPDATE ; I found a seal kit!! as...
Replies
Views
Hi @Jim Goodenough I do have some yes , I did...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Same here bud I did some ASK resurants and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, hope this is okay to post. Just over...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There is hopefully a lintel above that new...
Replies
Views
Back