What "key" for this main stopcock? | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What "key" for this main stopcock? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

After fixing a mixer tap in the kitchen and struggling with stockcock under the sink, it occured to me that I did not know where the main external stop valve for my property was.

After having a look around today, I have found it just over the boundary in next doors garden and when I lifted the cover, the round 8" plastic pipe/housing was 3/4 full of soil!

20 minutes of digging later I unearthed the installation in the attached pic. It seems it was renewed about 5 years ago just before we moved in.

I assume the blue disk/seat is for a water meter? And the round bodied valve with the raised bar on it is the on/off tap?

If so, does anybody know the name of the tool for turning it? It may be that it's designed to be turned by hand, but the hole is that deep, I can only reach it by lying on the ground which is less than ideal.
Thanks in advance,
Peter
IMG_0955~2.JPG

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Should be able to move that with your fingers matey.
Yes, but the chamber is so deep, it means lying down on the lawn to reach it, which I am trying to avoid in future...
[automerge]1578249384[/automerge]
Shaun , Robert, thanks for those recommendations...providing they are compatible with the fitting, they are exactly the sort of thing I am after....

Regards,

Peter

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

• Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Hi, I have a bit of a strange problem. A...
Replies
Views
Peterbromley
P
  • Question
Sounds to me that the 15mm pipe that you are...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
  • Question
Something to consider, you maybe able to mile...
Replies
Views
  • Question
All sounds good the insuduct is a nice bit of...
Replies
Views
Back