What Part Of ACS Do I Need To Fit Boilers? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What Part Of ACS Do I Need To Fit Boilers? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all, I'm new to this forum.

I have been a plumber for a number of years now, but never got around to going for ACS qualifications. If I want to just fit boilers, and don't want to have anything to do with cookers, fires or commercial, can I just study and take tests and exams for boiler fitting?

I don't know what is involved with ACS. Presumably I can do a college course, then exams and a portfolio of work. Any advice on the easiest way forward would be appreciated.

and complete the ccn1 portfolio of experience prior to the exams

Good advice old plumber as most training centers these days dont seem to bother advising properly!
Giss yer MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ccn1 is core gas safety. Which involves inspecting hobs/fires/chb's/tumble dryers/water heaters/warm air units etc and checking for safety, reporting defects etc. Although u only want to work on boilers u need to be able to say a fire etc is also safe. Being gsr means u have a duty of care to the customer.... For talking sake, u fit a new boiler and commision it, ur happy it's all working fine and ur about to leave, u notice a gas fire in the lounge, u 'should' check the fire for spillage and check the vent requirements as u have noticed the open flued appliance. This doesn't mean u have to repair it. It only means u act appropriately(turn off/cap/leave paperwork and labels etc) when classifying such an appliance.

I often hear of kitchen fitters wanting to get a ticket to fit cookers only, only to then find out about the ccn1 which often scares them off for obvious reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
For talking sake, u fit a new boiler and commision it, ur happy it's all working fine and ur about to leave, u notice a gas fire in the lounge, u 'should' check the fire for spillage and check the vent requirements as u have noticed the open flued appliance.

You are wrong there. Only visual check required.

I often hear of kitchen fitters wanting to get a ticket to fit cookers only, only to then find out about the ccn1 which often scares them off for obvious reasons.

When the Acs started in the 90's half the kitchen fitters in the country got gas qualified so they could disconnect hobs and such. They could all read so they passed and couldn't tell the difference from a gas meter and a parking meter. No "portfolio" required in them days. Pay the money and get a ticket:(
Thankfully things have now improved...... slightly:eek:

Tamz

What gd is a visual check if the fire is spilling? How would u know if it's spilling or not by a visual? I'm pretty sure u do a spillage at least. It's certainly my firms policy to do spillage&vent checks on appliances that we come accross but are not neccessarily working on originally if that makes sense

Its a very good policy and nobody would knock you for it but not a requirement

imho

Tamz

What gd is a visual check if the fire is spilling? How would u know if it's spilling or not by a visual? I'm pretty sure u do a spillage at least. It's certainly my firms policy to do spillage&vent checks on appliances that we come accross but are not neccessarily working on originally if that makes sense

i agree with puddles comment, it is good practice, but NOT mandatory,

Its a very good policy and nobody would knock you for it but not a requirement

imho

i agree with puddles comment, it is good practice, but NOT mandatory,

fair doo's boys, i done my acs about 4yrs ago, i just had it in my head it was mandatory. as i say its certainly our company policy so ive always done it. if i ever left my current firm i'd defo continue to the same checks as i'd feel i was leaving myself wide open if the fire was spilling or needed vents.

what do u boys do when u come accross said fires that ur not working on?

the bare minumum?
or the same as me?
somewhere in the middle?

Your approach is very commendable. If thats what you like to do to get you off to sleep, great.
Personally and standard across the industry, the bare minimum. A quick look. Vent ok, no obvious signs of spillage. Thats it.
You, not personally but in general reg installers, especially the newly qualified, need to use common sense. Gas fitting is not some dark art.

Next time you are out for a pint in one of those pubs with the big lfe fire and the hood that some donkey fitted and you know just by looking at it that it has been spilling what do you do? What are your responsiblities?
Do you say to the barman (or manager) to get it checked, who thinks, who cares it has been like that as long as i can remember! or do you run out to the van and get your ID stickers and phone transco/sgn?
Common sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Could be the AAV inside the boiler leaking...
Replies
Views
Have a second gas main fitted at the other end?
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the reply @Timmy D thats a...
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
Back