What size pipe for thermostatic shower? | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What size pipe for thermostatic shower? in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

B

bazza1410

Hi, I am undertaking a bathroom refit which involves replacing a bath with a walk in shower. The hot and cold feed pipes going to the bath are 22mm and I was wondering if I can use this feed for a thermostatic shower or will I need to reduce down to 15mm? Do you get showers that are 15mm and 22mm? It's a system boiler if that makes a difference. Thanks.

The current set-up was fine for the bath will it really make a big difference to the shower. I would only be extending the pipes by a couple extra feet with that really make that much of a difference to the pressure

Upvote 0
I don't think I would fancy fitting the pump myself. If I supplied the pump does anybody have a rough idea how much a local plumber would take to install it?

Upvote 0
Without eyes on the job, my advice would be that the easiest option is likely to be an electric shower, if you want a good strong shower you'll be looking at a higher rating than 8.5kw, make sure you choose the shower before the sparky runs the cables for it and let him know the rating.
If you're on a gravity system with or without a pump and you already have an en suite shower you could be looking at the water running out if both showers are used at the same time. You are limited by the amount of stored hot water you have and the size of the cylinder header tank which may need to be upsized bringing logistical problems re loft access, strength of base etc.
If a pump is used and you don't already have one - a surrey / essex flange would need to be installed on your cylinder.
Nine times out of ten the easiest solution is run some cabling and bung an electric shower in, unless you're thinking of changing your water systen to a combi or unvented system.

Upvote 0
Ok thanks for your advice. There are only two people in the house (my parents) so i dont think running out of water would be an issue, but having poor pressure would! The wiring and plumbing are already there for electric shower as we had one above the old bath. They just dont look as good imo.

Upvote 0
Having done this expertise for all the OAP's in my immediate and distant family I would avoid an electric shower, they are never as good as a proper digital shower. To make it as safe as possible you will need to replace all the wiring to code, possible meaning a new consumer unit, and even then the life span of the shower is limited, especially in hard water areas unless a water softener is installed . Trust me you want complete reliability and a good shower. Fit and forget solution is an Aqualisa Digital, sourced on line, easy install, 5 year warranty.

Upvote 0
A mixer will work good depending on head of pressure as i used to have a gravity shower on groundfloor , hw on first and big cwsc in loft. it was always great gravity pressure because of heights and the pipes were ran properly with least bends as poss and they were all formed bends, your problem youll have is your bath will be cold water main is it ?
and your hot gravity so wont be balanced, Me personally i hate lecky showers as poor flows but sometimes needs must ,

Upvote 0
Now looking at getting combi boiler as current one is 20 years old and that would fix all problems. Who would have thot getting a decent shower could be such a pain!

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

D
  • Question
Post a pic Could be you carefully break out...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I don't see your comments?
Replies
Views
T
  • Question
I am redoing my bathroom and not sure what the...
Replies
Views
Thermostatic shower
T
  • Question
Sounds to me that the 15mm pipe that you are...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
S
  • Question
Many thanks, Ben-gee - that's very useful...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Back