What the latest your,ve worked | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What the latest your,ve worked in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

E4gas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
In a day , Last month I stated at 8am , finished 9.45pm same day boiler conversion , my lad was not happy , but I was , god earner

spent 24 hours on a burner breakdown in a factory

done many long shifts with only few hours sleep break inbetween

I was on call out the one Saturday, got my first call just before 7am so had a quick shower and by the time I got out I'd got three more calls come in. So off I went, the calls kept coming and coming until I finally got home at 10:30pm, sat down on the sofa and waited for the kettle to boil, just as I heard the kettle finish doing its business the phone went again and off out I went again. Finally I got back in to my cuppa at about half eleven. It was the worst day I've ever had as a heating engineer and made me despise the human race.

I DON'T DO CALL OUT ANYMORE

Set off at 06:45. Finished at 16:00, should have been home by 17:00.

Ended up getting home at 22:00.

Nightmare traffic, motorway shut, only one other route.

done many a 24hr shift, one day was 30hours and the only break was a macmuffin to remind us the time of day!.
6 hours kip, up to scotland and do another 24hr, 18 if we were lucky.lol

the last 2 weeks i have been doing 12-14hrs for the last 14 days, had a lie in for last 3 days lol.

lunch is for whimps.imo.

The worst ive done was up and out by 5.30am home at 4.00am the following day up at 5.30again home by 8pm and that was only a few weeks ago absolute nightmare, it took the next week to recover!

This will inevitally turn into a Monty Python sketch :- ".......when I was a lad I used to get up so early that the sun hadn't even set, work up to my neck in a sewer all day for tuppence a year, run 10miles home just in time to go to bed....". :smile:

If you do call out work, then you end up out all hours. I don't mind doing a no brain job at night, like fixing a leak etc, but hate to have to use my head when I am tired.

Longest (not the worst as long does not mean bad) i have did is "when i was a lad" :lol:
Completion of a motorway service station. Up at 6, on the job for half 7. Job being handed over in 2 days and BIG penalty clauses if it was not ready in time so the place was pandemonium. Double time paid from 8pm for anyone who stayed to give a hand to anyone who needed it and treble time after midnight until you clocked off. I stayed until about half 5 the following day. Thing was when i got home i was still buzzing and cracked into the beer. It was well over midnight before i fell into bed. Up the next day and on the job for half 7 again getting things ready for the big opening. Wage (employed at the time) for the 1 continuous shift was over £800 (20 odd years ago).
The co who built it took all the guys out for a free bar night with half a dozen strippers as a thanks. Don't get that anymore either

when i was a lad did 24hour call out two weeks together then 10 hour shift other two weeks this went on until i burnt myself out i through the towel in and went self employed even when self employed there i times when a job could go on for longer but i dont let myself get into routine that i have got to finish it there and then no matter what customer says put tools away get home chill out and return next day i only say this because if you burn out and the works gets to you its not a nice feeling . happy plumbing guys

did a couple of 20 hour shifts in a row, up at 4am finished at 12am back up at 4am finish at 12am. that really does take it out of you.

Did a hotel kiychen refit, on a tight time scale, and had to fit round the ventalation guys, so did it over night, did my normal 8am till 6pm stopped in at homehad my dinner back out to repipe kitchen, got the gas back on just in time for the breakfast chef to fire up the bacon!! cleared up and cleared off home for a cup of tea and back to site for 8-30am although that was a bit of slow day!!

Getting back into alarm territory. I like to set my alarm for 5pm, otherwise as the nights get lighter I would just keep going, especially on the bathroom refits. I don't mind long days when they keep coming. It's when you are in a routine and then pull a long shift that screws me up, thgat and going to bed early :)

I was working on an national insurance breakdown contract and I left the house at 0700 am and got back in at quarter to 3 following morning.

That was 23 jobs completed and 350 miles covered.

I tend to do 10 hours most days in the winter. Call out after that. The one weekend I had done 50 hours in the week and then 12 hours on the Saturday, 6 hours on the Sunday. Then back to work on the Monday and started again.

The worst time I've got back was about 3.30 am and then went to work for 9. I got called out to a leaking boiler at 11.30 and it was over an hour away. Job took an hour, then drove home, except they'd closed the motorway junction I was due to get and there was a diversion. Someone went in to the side of my van, so had to sit at the side of the road and report it to the leasing company, then continue the longer journey home. Hated my job that day.

I also do some work for a Friend in the summer. After a full week at work doing gas work, I was up early on the Saturday helping out at a half marathon. Then had a 4 hour hour drive, 3 hours of sleep, time a triathlon, then a 4 hour drive home. I think I got back o the lock up about 6 pm, running on 3 hours sleep. 8 hours of driving. 4 hours riding my push bike. Several hours timing athletes. I felt like a poo. Lol!

do any of you realize there used to be 23hrs in a day 30 odd years ago.?.

ask tamz..

Aye. 23 working hours. Thats fine when you are fit enough :lol:

It did get dark at half 11 for a couple of years when they tried double summertime or daylight saving as it was called.
Didn't get light enough in the winter to do any work on site until about half 9 tho and the weans were running around with reflector armbands on, going to school in the dark.
That was a bit clever thinking that they tried to bring back last year. Maybe they will go for the 100hour week so people can live on a fiver an hour or maybe the blackouts with their green energy policy's next.

Similar plumbing topics

My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just...
Replies
Views
Thanks Shaun! Never thought the timer could be...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I’m hoping I find some luck here, I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, i was wondering if there was...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sorry for the delay in replying, I had an...
Replies
Views
Back