What to expect/likely need to do... | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What to expect/likely need to do... in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Customer texted, wants a TRV changed, not been to see it. I've done many of these. 99% are on straight forward vented or sealed systems so I either bung the f+e or create an airlock and then top up the pressure after.

I texted back asking if he had a combi or tanks in the loft.

He says he "has a megaflo and the rad is on the hot water circuit so still on when heating is off and the hot water and heating is from a Rayburn cooker." He dealt with the tanks in the loft question by adding he has a "dry loft." Which I guess means no.

For a semi-skilled fast-track chump who sticks in his very narrow lane of jobs (mostly taps and toilets) like me this is throwing a few confusions into the mix.

I'm guessing it's most likely the rad is still on the heating circuit but is just plumbed in in a way that means it gets hot with hot water as I've asked about this before on here (and just about understood the reply.) I also seem to remember you can put a rad on the hot water circuit but it needs to be a special type and expensive and therefore rare.

I don't understand how the Rayburn cooker factors into anything and this has always been a blind spot in my knowledge which - where I live - has come up about 3 times in a decade and not been something I've needed to understand.

So given his supplied info - what would you do on arriving to check to your satisfaction that you knew how to isolate the flow to the pipe feeding this TRV and change it? And by what method would this likely occur?

I'm hoping the hot water circuit claims and Rayburn are irrelevant info and I basically just need to find a filling loop and pressure guage to relieve and the re-top up the pressure.

Thanks

Could be off the hot water circuit eg the hot water then too the taps etc

Or could be off the leg to the hot water port valve

need to know

If it wasn't obvious (or not obvious to me...) could you work it out by turning off mains, opening nearest hot tap to rad, letting it stop and then cracking a rad valve nut to see if it's down to a dribble? Or crack the rad nut and collect half a bucket of water and see if the pressure guage goes down? Work it out that way?

Am I right in thinking one of those should work?

I do have a freeze machine. Not used it in about 2 or 3 years. Not sure how reliable it would be now. Could test it out at home.

It's not a heat leak for the Rayburn is it? You could be walking into a minefield.

Ask how old the Rayburn is if its gas/oil

If it's an old oil one or solid fuel I wouldn't put a trv on it and also would recommend leave it well alone as it could be gravity fed and a mega flo shouldn't go on that.

Ok, this sounds like it could be above my pay grade and so I've passed him on as to not waste anymore of his time.

Thanks all for your comments though.

If anyone can explain in a way that doesn't make my head explode, how would a Rayburn cooker and a megaflo be used together? Just out of interest...

Ok, this sounds like it could be above my pay grade and so I've passed him on as to not waste anymore of his time.

Thanks all for your comments though.

If anyone can explain in a way that doesn't make my head explode, how would a Rayburn cooker and a megaflo be used together? Just out of interest...

If it is a gas Rayburn they have a separate boiler burner to cooker burner so in effect it is no different to a boiler.

Vapourising and solid fuel I would of thought they needed a heat leak and would also not be able to go on an unvented system.

Pressure jet oil I'm not sure not had enough work on them.

Similar plumbing topics

It's not 'amateurish', what you've had...
Replies
Views
Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
Just a guess, but you may find that the...
Replies
Views
C
I want to say it's the flow. I followed a...
Replies
Views
Back