What was this fitting? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss What was this fitting? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Changed a ball valve in loft today. Lead feed was wiped onto 1/2" tap connector (copper/brass.) But inside the nut where there'd usually be a housing for fibre washer, ptfe, hemp, whatever was a sort of protuding flat face. It was same size as fibre washer. Just put it on top and carefully joined the ball valve. It didn't look like there was anything on it previously but presumed it fell of when undoing (was v dark.) Wondered if it would work, mains on, 5 mins, dry as a bone. I guess thi how those are done? It wasn't an olive or functioning like an olive, it was just a flat face.

I think the old lead/brass tap connectors had a ground face that fits into the concave end of the ball valve.

how would that seal? and was i therefore wrong to use a fibre washer?

any other input?

how would that seal? and was i therefore wrong to use a fibre washer?

any other input?

Chalked is correct in that it could be a ground fitting.
A washer would only go part way up the mating surface and probably not have much of a shoulder under the nut to compress against.

It was known as a cap and liner some came flat faced and some with a lip to sit a fibre /leather washer ...you may open one and find a grommet of hemp made up as a washer in the flat faced version.....regards Turnpin;)

cheers fellas. so what's the consensus, 5-10 mins under mains pressure, dry as a bone. should i be worried about use of fibre washer or will it be fine?

I keep reading this thread wrong.... changing the first t with an s in fitting.... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back