whats the cheapest way of moving my gas meter from the inside the house to the outsid | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss whats the cheapest way of moving my gas meter from the inside the house to the outsid in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: whats the cheapest way of moving my gas meter from the inside the house to the ou

there isn"t one its as simple as that. no one but transco can move your meter, you have to ring them up and explain where when and how far , they will in there time send some one to view and give you a price,

Re: whats the cheapest way of moving my gas meter from the inside the house to the ou

I beleive it may depend on the situation with your pipework ie. if you can leave the incoming gas main where it is then a gas safe engineer could move the meter with additional pipework, however if you need the incoming main altered too outside then as cjg says Transco is one of the few options.

there isn"t one its as simple as that. no one but transco can move your meter

Ive fitted an additional gas meter on a few occasions, would moving the primary meter not be the same situation? surely as long as i dont need to alter anything before the ECV its perfectly fine for a Gas Safe Installer to move. Thats always been my understanding of it anyway. do correct me if im wrong (as i have been known too be on a few occasions) :)

you need met1 ticket

there is a world of difference between a primary and secondary meter, i have MET1 ticket and have relocated plenty of meters when doing kitchen refurbs, but technically should have asked for written permission from the supplier to mover their meter, but TBH nobody cares, but to move one from inside to outside without moving the ECV isnt going to happen, as the question was what is the cheapest way, the answer to that is to get a transco guy to do it as a homer

Thought you needed MET2 to move a meter?

nope, transco only,costs couple of grand i think ,thats what it cost customer of my builder mate,can touch pipe work after meter but not before

think thats only to swap meter mikegas or if you work for meter company

ps i asked if i needed meters on my acs and they said no cos only disconectin while doing pipework not removing it permently or changing it so ccn 1 covered me

Last edited by a moderator:

last one a customer of mine got quoted in the midlands was £900, id imagine they price them all accordingly though.

think thats only to swap meter mikegas or if you work for meter company

ps i asked if i needed meters on my acs and they said no cos only disconectin while doing pipework not removing it permently or changing it so ccn 1 covered me

I thought met1 allowed you to replace an existing meter and met2 allowed you to adjust a meter position?

it mite do m8 would have to check,i no you defo have to work for transco or similar to move meter

simple answer................. call transco and they will advise you!

its a transco job unless you know someone who works for them

Getting an alternative quotation

National Grid is not the only company who can provide a quotation for a new gas supply or work on existing gas pipes/infrastructure. You have a choice of companies, Utility Infrastructure Providers (UIPs), that you can use for gas services.
Please note: If you are a domestic customer requiring standard work, then these other companies may not be able to provide you with a competitive quotation.
On completion of the form, your information will be forwarded to a number of Utility Infrastructure Providers who should respond directly to your request within five working days.
National Grid is not responsible for the processing of your information by a UIP, nor is National Grid responsible for any quotations, statements, information, goods or services provided, or agreed to be provided, by a UIP or for any failure, delay or any other liability arising from them providing those goods and services.
National Grid does not receive any payment from UIPs in respect of passing information to them.
hope this clears some of the things up

there is a world of difference between a primary and secondary meter, i have MET1 ticket and have relocated plenty of meters when doing kitchen refurbs, but technically should have asked for written permission from the supplier to mover their meter, but TBH nobody cares, but to move one from inside to outside without moving the ECV isnt going to happen, as the question was what is the cheapest way, the answer to that is to get a transco guy to do it as a homer
hi kirkgas. bugbearer of mine this..work for social housing and plenty of gas meters need repositioning due to bad contractors work when installing new kitchens. can you tell me if you can only move the gas meter with in the allowance of the flex? because sometimes the meter could do with being moved that little bit more. especially when it's a payment gas meter. thanks

I,ve heard there's guys who contracts for transco that move them for cash price .

250 quid transco guys doing homers round here.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

250 quid transco guys doing homers round here.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Same round here. Collar one in a greasy spoon most mornings and just ask!

hi kirkgas. bugbearer of mine this..work for social housing and plenty of gas meters need repositioning due to bad contractors work when installing new kitchens. can you tell me if you can only move the gas meter with in the allowance of the flex? because sometimes the meter could do with being moved that little bit more. especially when it's a payment gas meter. thanks

have done prob a hundred or so, client (social housing) needs to get written permission from supplier, we leave the ecv where it is (obviously) relocate meter to new position to suit new kitchen layout and use a 3 fitting combination from BES (one to go on ecv x 22mm copper, the other 2 screw together to join anaconda to 22mm copper, depending on actual relocation perhaps also a 22mm aecv, i usually use M5 screwed rod backplate and clips to support new pipe and anaconda as the new run isnt easily clipped properly (as the backs of units are paper thin, i prefer to clip then to the base of the unit) fit appropriate stickers, easy peasy, have had plenty post inspected by the supplier as they are peeved they didnt get the job from the client at a cost of about £280 plus VAT and never had a problem

Hi Kirkgas,,

Did this cost you the £ 280.00+ vat to have the job Inspected? or Have I misunderstood ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

N
Thank you all. The wording was ambiguous in...
Replies
Views
Northgan
N
you will have to call the gas transporter /...
Replies
Views
I had it at least once, told customer to...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Even if you did move the meter to the "vacant"...
Replies
Views
I would say it’s not Siemens, although...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back