Which Boiler Should I Go For | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Which Boiler Should I Go For in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hello - I hope someone can help as I'm not a plumber but need some advice.

I've just bought a 1930's semi detached house with one bathroom. It has a boiler (Not a combi) in the kitchen and a hot water tank in the current bathroom. I'm ripping out and putting a new bathroom in. I want to move the hot water tank so the bathroom is bigger.
I have two options:
1. move the hot water tank into a spare bedroom and continue with current setup
2. get a new boiler
First of all, does anyone have any guidance on what I should do with the above otpions?

Secondly, which is where I'm really stuck, I'm getting different advice from different plumbers in terms of what boiler to go for if I get a new one. Do I get a combi? Which Combi? Do I put it in the loft? Will a combi give me enough water pressure? Am I just being sold a combi because they're expensive? Would I be better getting a megaflow (whatever that is) or a different type of Non combi boiler?

Im totally confused and would really appreciate some laymans terms advice. Ultimately, we have one bathroom, will be putting in a new toilet downstairs and might convert the loft one day. We just want enough water pressure for a decent shower.

Thanks in advance

Hello - I hope someone can help as I'm not a plumber but need some advice.

I've just bought a 1930's semi detached house with one bathroom. It has a boiler (Not a combi) in the kitchen and a hot water tank in the current bathroom. I'm ripping out and putting a new bathroom in. I want to move the hot water tank so the bathroom is bigger.
I have two options:
1. move the hot water tank into a spare bedroom and continue with current setup
2. get a new boiler
First of all, does anyone have any guidance on what I should do with the above otpions?

Secondly, which is where I'm really stuck, I'm getting different advice from different plumbers in terms of what boiler to go for if I get a new one. Do I get a combi? Which Combi? Do I put it in the loft? Will a combi give me enough water pressure? Am I just being sold a combi because they're expensive? Would I be better getting a megaflow (whatever that is) or a different type of Non combi boiler?

Im totally confused and would really appreciate some laymans terms advice. Ultimately, we have one bathroom, will be putting in a new toilet downstairs and might convert the loft one day. We just want enough water pressure for a decent shower.

Thanks in advance
Hi Rpmm, welcome to PF you have arrived at the correct place for solid advice.
You will not be astounded to learn your question is the most asked, there are upto
12m combi boilers hanging on walls in the UK.
1. Combi installation new could be your cheapest option...but which one ?
2. You are not keeping the present arrangement..it might work given ur future plans
3. What are your future plans re bathrooms, extensions etc. ?
4. if your are sticking with 1x bathroom, and DS wc thats fine but loft conv !
could be a game changer.
No wonder you are confused any experienced engineer should go thro all this with you
so sit back relax and see what the collective wisdom on PF says but give us time to read and reply..because we are real and actually do thus stuff every day.
centralheatking

You

A combi would solve your space issues but the driver for me would be the age and performance of your current system. If it works well enough and the boiler won't need replacing anytime soon I'd probably move the cylinder (if it doesn't eat up too much bedroom space) and install a power shower or electric shower if shower pressure is poor. If the boiler needs replacing soon I'd rip the lot out and get a combi as long as you have a decent flow rate supply.

If you have one bathroom and 2 people and and 3 bedroom. Then a combi is perfect. In my opinion (I am married and know that my opinion means very little) anything more requires a traditional system which there a variety of configurations or maybe a storage combi

Similar plumbing topics

M
A large storage combi could feed more than two...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
LastPlumber's view makes sense. Anyway this...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
Back