Which boiler / system? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Which boiler / system? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DIY Bob

Hi All.

My Potterton Profile boiler is 15 years old and still working well, but I am conscious that they don't last forever. I am also vaguely aware that boiler technology has changed over the years, and I would like to get an idea of the most suitable boiler & system I should go for when the old boiler reaches the end of its useful life.

The house is a 45 year old 4 bed detached, with an open vented system with a pumped primary, a large hw cylinder in the airing cupboard with 2 linked cold water tanks in the loft, plus a ch header tank in the loft. Cold water to all taps and bath is mains pressure; hot water to all taps and the bath is boosted via a Monsoon pump in the airing cupboard. I also have 2 showers , one a self-contained power shower, the other with a dedicated Showermate twin pump. Cold water for the pumps obviously comes from the loft tanks.

I wonder what the expected life-span of my Potterton Profile is likely to be, and what would be the best type of boiler I should replace it with, bearing in mind I would like to retain the pumped showers.

Clearly I will get a professional plumber/heating installer to do all the work when the time comes, but I don't want to have to make hurried decisions under crisis conditions - last time, the old boiler failed during bitterly cold weather and there was no time to do any research!

Any advice gratefully received.

A Potterton profile is a very good boiler and the last of the domestic bread that can last over 25 years,however they do not have the efficiency rating of todays boiler and you can get a new boiler that works with the existing system you have installed

When the time comes to replace it,what you would replace it with ?Apart from most plumbers having there own chose,depends also on the condition of the rest of the system,the more that needs replacing along with the boiler,the more options you have when you come to update,it is pointless say, not going for a unvented cylinder because you want to keep the pumps for showers and existing cylinder ,when cylinder and shower pumps are on there way out as well,for example

You need a qualified plumber to survey your existing system and then taking all components into account,he will come up with a new system that meets your requirements

imho

Thanks Puddle. Hopefully I've got another few years to consider, then take advice at that time.

Hi bob, the profile is a great old boiler. Well built and very reliable if serviced and maintained. It may not be as efficient as the new a rated boilers but will out live a fair few of them! Hang on to it as long as poss would be my advice.

Thanks APP. The last boiler (a huge old 140,000 BTU brute) lasted 30 years before it gave up the ghost, right in the middle of a bitterly cold spell. I guess this weekend's snow started to make me nervous... Good reminder to get it serviced, it's well overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Very informative...........thx🙄
Replies
Views
Back