Which Boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Which Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Piratepete

My daughter is getting quotes for boiler replacement. It's the usual job - replace system boiler with a combi, rip out the tanks, new rad valves (thermostatic) filter, wireless stat.

She's been offered a Ferroli Modena HE32 (which the plumber swears by) system for £1650.
A Worcester Bosch 25HE system for £2100 by the same plumber.
And a Glow Worm for £1600

Ferroli used to have an awful reputation. Do they now?

Glow Worm , son of Vailant, what are they like these days?

If she's looking for low price, what make would you offer for reliability/good service?

Cheers

Pete :smile5:

Last edited by a moderator:
My choices would be Intergas or Ideal Logic + . For those on a budget the Ideal Independent is good.

I keep saying it on here boilers go wrong no matter how much you pay for the appliance , anything manufactured goes ping at some point .
They all have common faults that will arise at some point , i ripped out a vokera a known pile of tat a while back and the owner swore by it and only reason the housing association removed it because it was getting on.

the glow worm seems cheap tho would have thought maybe a couple hundred more on that one ,

ask about the warranties on the boilers imho

I guess the glowworm would be a flexicom, they're not too much more than the modenas.

But from the list of boilers given I'd rather keep what I had.

none of that list of problems but you can halve the potential faults with an intergas, if it doesnt have the bits in it then they cant breakdown, simples

You can buy two Betacom 2 24 for the price of WB cdi, store one away easy swap when the other packs up.

Same applies to electric showers when on half price offer

But seriously it doesn't seem to matter what make you go for they all seem to go wrong a lot quicker than the simple boilers of old, I replaced a 3 year old Eco tec the other day as parts were only £170 less than the cost of new boiler.

what I find amusing is I still work on balanced flue boilers that are approx 25 years old and still running lovely and silent, and just had a couple of thermocouples in there life time, one I can think of in particular a old Thorne EMI Apollo it's so quite,
They may not be as good for the environment (acid water/ steam discharge damage to eco system yet to raise its head) but I think in the long term more economical if you take in to account there life span,

so my opinion is buy cheaper boiler and spend on a decent filter, descaler, flush & inhibitor

I have not experienced it personally but there a rumours going around that the manufactures are finding any excuse possible to not honour there warranties another consideration is Thechnical back up I currently install the glow worm if they want budget but there tech line is frustrating to get through to but WB always seems ok as was Ferroli.

Why not just replace boiler ? what is wrong with rest of system ? if she is on a tight budget replace boiler & up grade controls if needed ! she must already have room stat etc. so just needs TRVs adding.

Why not just replace boiler ? what is wrong with rest of system ? if she is on a tight budget replace boiler & up grade controls if needed ! she must already have room stat etc. so just needs TRVs adding.

Thanks for your concern. Been through all that- advantages/disadvantages - power showers etc. The main thing that swings it is that the hw tank is uninsulated and so boxed in that you have to demolish half the bathroom to get to it. There isn't another sensible place to put a new one.

Cheerrs

none of that list of problems but you can halve the potential faults with an intergas, if it doesnt have the bits in it then they cant breakdown, simples
I also have a Landy, 3 horses, 2 dogs, 1 cat and a wife and Daughter at home - guess who has the final say in anything. I do of course, its "yes dear"

Don't the horses have the last laugh?

I also have a Landy, 3 horses, 2 dogs, 1 cat and a wife and Daughter at home - guess who has the final say in anything. I do of course, its "yes dear"

Don't the horses have the last laugh?

horses dont answer back, they are easily pleased, carrots and polos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hmm. I'm assuming that the majority of scale...
Replies
Views
H
id look for whats got a long guarantee and...
Replies
Views
P
The by-pass has to be open. The point of it...
Replies
Views
dontknowitall
D
K
Thanks for that puddle. The only thing...
Replies
Views
kozmian
K
P
i would recommend viessmann as they come with...
Replies
Views
gasmarc
G
Back