Which Boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Which Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EBrant

Hello

I am installing (e.g. I am doing the donkey work and a plumber is doing the boiler etc.), I am torn between two boilers

1) Potterton Titanium 40 HE Combi Boiler
2) Baxi Avanta Exclusive 39c Combi Boiler

any recommendations on which I should go for regarding reliability e.g. trouble free long life?

Thanks in advance
Ernie

Hi,
May I please ask why/how you shortlisted these two? (I am no expert...just asking your reasoning to compare with my current choice of boilers )..

I have heard great things about Potterton and since I was choosing a baxi myself for an installation in the next week I thought Baxi would be equivalent or better than Potterton range as its the same company and Baxi is a better model?

:)

You will get 10 installers on here, recommending 10 different boilers.....

but, none for those two!!

Hello

I am installing (e.g. I am doing the donkey work and a plumber is doing the boiler etc.), I am torn between two boilers

1) Potterton Titanium 40 HE Combi Boiler
2) Baxi Avanta Exclusive 39c Combi Boiler

any recommendations on which I should go for regarding reliability e.g. trouble free long life?

Thanks in advance
Ernie
None of the above. Intergas is the Only choice

What does the plumber recommend?

Thanks all,

Different plumbers recommend different boilers (as one o h replies above suggested)

What about going for a top of the range valiant or glow worm ultracom then?

I will tae a look at the logic tec boiler too

Thanks
Ernest

What drugs are you on? Can I have some??? Glow worm top dog? We all argue about boilers, no one ever ever says glowshed!

My experience is limited as I am still training, but I have put in a few Worster Bosh and Viessman boilers with a GSR and they seem good bits of kit. The insides seem to have more room for maintenance compared to cheaper products. Been out on a lot of boiler faults with Avanta and Rehmeha boilers so be warned about those.

Perhaps, just as important as what boiler to get is good system maintenance, especially with Combi's. Before you put in a new one it's always good practice to give your system a good, proper, powerflush. Use a good inhibitor and install a magnaclean.

Vaillant Pro/Plus
Worcester CDi
Veissman
Ideal Vogue.

Pick one. Get it installed properly. Move on.

The potterton is not a bad boiler. Its basically a baxi HEA.
Truth be told. There isn't a boiler on the market from any brand that could be called even 70% reliable.
None.
They will all breakdown at some point, even with regular maintainance and the repair bills if you pick the wrong boiler, can be horendous, believe me! (generally cheap boilers expansive parts) I'm the cant standing there asking someone for a mortgage payment for a 20 minute repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
The potterton is not a bad boiler. Its basically a baxi HEA.

Yep - its essentially the same boiler as the Baxi Duo-tec HE A, or the Baxi Platinum HE A. Actually, I would rate that as one of the more proven platforms on the market at the moment.

Truth be told. There isn't a boiler on the market from any brand that could be called even 70% reliable.
None.
They will all breakdown at some point, even with regular maintainance and the repair bills if you pick the wrong boiler, can be horendous, believe me! (generally cheap boilers expansive parts) I'm the cant standing there asking someone for a mortgage payment for a 20 minute repair.

The best way to look at this is to look at the way manufacturers price additional years of warranty. Generally speaking, the average is about £20 to £30 for each additional year. Make a couple of basic assumptions about how much it costs them to have an engineer call on an in-warranty visit, and you can soon work out how reliable they think their appliances are when they are footing the bill.

However, the choice of boiler is utterly irrelevant compared with the quality of the installer. I would rather have a Biasi, Hermann (can you still get them?), Ravenheat, or even an Ideal Isar fitted by a good engineer who took the trouble to do a proper job, than a brand new Worcester Bosch CDI fitted badly onto a poorly designed, dirty system.

Yep - its essentially the same boiler as the Baxi Duo-tec HE A, or the Baxi Platinum HE A. Actually, I would rate that as one of the more proven platforms on the market at the moment.

The best way to look at this is to look at the way manufacturers price additional years of warranty. Generally speaking, the average is about £20 to £30 for each additional year. Make a couple of basic assumptions about how much it costs them to have an engineer call on an in-warranty visit, and you can soon work out how reliable they think their appliances are when they are footing the bill.

However, the choice of boiler is utterly irrelevant compared with the quality of the installer. I would rather have a Biasi, Hermann (can you still get them?), Ravenheat, or even an Ideal Isar fitted by a good engineer who took the trouble to do a proper job, than a brand new Worcester Bosch CDI fitted badly onto a poorly designed, dirty system.
The forums voice of reason:coffee:

Intergash. Pump fan gas valve custards always rabbiting on about them

Oh dear. They just gone down again. What's other one ? Flow detected by themisters on F&R is it a water turbine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Probably temperature sensor or thermistor that...
Replies
Views
This question has been discussed a couple of...
Replies
Views
No problem. Nice to be thanked and appreciated...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Don’t know if this is the right part but...
Replies
Views
Back