Which boiler ? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Which boiler ? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Turbazz

So after some careful thought I have decided to replace my boiler. I have ferroli at the moment which is giving so much trouble.

Which boiler should I replace it with .? ( dont want to spend too much)

The property is rented out, I am the landlord.

It's a one bedroom flat. Has natural gas

Is there anything else I should look out for in a fresh boiler.?
What level of work should I expect the installer to carry out .

I have been been looking at these two models.....

Baxi duo tec 24he

Ariston clas he evo 24he

The first comes with 7 years,second comes with a 8years warranty

What do you think guys any better suggestions !?

get a boiler with 7-10 year warranty, use a good engineer who will properly flush system and install to manufacturers instructions, get it serviced every year and inhibitor levels topped up, these are the conditions to preserve the warranty and it should cover you for repairs.

Biggest challenges with swapping boiler for a new condensing boiler is gas upgrades and condensate waste, some swaps are simple, others aren't. 1-2 days labour usually.

( dont want to spend too much)

What level of work should I expect the installer to carry out .

These two things are directly related. Choose a reputable local engineer, take his/her advice, don't try and beat them down to a pittance of a price, and the make/model of boiler is almost irrelevant. Even a top quality boiler will fail prematurely if badly installed on a dirty system.

I'd have a look at Ideal Independent, or an Intergas HRE.

Good idea getting rid of the ferroli!

Fit many baxi and have the 24 in my own house, it's a solid boiler and it's reasonably priced in my opinion.

What level of work should I expect to be carried out

Depends.

Spend cheap and you'll get a rough boiler thrown at the wall by someone still wet enough behind the ears that he doesn't understand his business costs and has to smash through jobs to keep his head above the water, or it'll be fitted by an illegal fitter whom you'll never see or hear of again while the boiler's falling off the wall and you're having to explain to the HSE under caution why your tenants have died through CO poisoning.

Or you can spend a sensible amount and know that your boiler is installed by a fully competent and qualified engineer in full accordance with the manufacturers instructions and the regulations in force at the time. Then you'll have warm and happy tenants and a trouble free installation.

Provided you follow the maintenance and service regime....

Last edited by a moderator:
What level of work should I expect to be carried out

As Croppie says, to do it properly, the boiler installation and commissioning must be fully compliant with current regs and manufacturer's instructions, and done by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

To be totally compliant and energy efficient, the system should be flushed using a method appropriate to its age and condition, all radiators should have TRVs except the reference, and that space should contain a room thermostat. There should be a timer, and all pipework should be lagged.

This may seem like overkill, especially as you aren't paying the gas bill, your tenant is, but it's good for the environment and sooner or later, when EPCs come in for rental properties, you'll be ahead of the curve.

From two boilers you suggest I would choose Baxi. Ariston Clas 30HE has not been a very reliable boiler. I have swapped number of PCBs on those over the years at around £290 a pop. Baxis seem to be very good value for money and tried and tested design. (Duo Tecs).

As others have said, get it installed properly and serviced annually (requirement for extended warranties) and you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Don’t know if this is the right part but...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Thank you for your information guys. On the...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
Back