Which cheap stuff / expensive stuff do you use? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Which cheap stuff / expensive stuff do you use? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I know ideally we'd all use nothing but high quality materials and fittings but the cost would mean you'd either lose some jobs or get them but not make as much as you'd want.

Maybe some of you are busy and established enough that you use no cheap stuff at all? That'd be great.

But for those of you who mix and match - what will you only buy quality makes for and what will you settle for cheap stuff for?

I think I might have to switch to only using MacAlpine waste stuff. Installed some unbranded traps from s crewfix the other day and they just leaked from everywhere it was possible to leak from.

I buy lowest common demoninator cheap compression that seems to work ok for me. Took getting used to but once you know how to work with it it's ok.

McApline pan connectors and traps. Osma weld waste pipe and fittings. Osma soil pipe and soil fittings only.

Used to be I wouldn't fit bathroom suites from the sheds but with work a bit scarce i've had to just suck it up.

McApline pan connectors and traps. Osma weld waste pipe and fittings. Osma soil pipe and soil fittings only.

Used to be I wouldn't fit bathroom suites from the sheds but with work a bit scarce i've had to just suck it up.

I'm with Hybrid on using the above branded items. I used to only use Bristan taps if possible but have recently found them to be getting very expensive & not as well made as they used to be. I have started using Swirl taps from Screwfix & found them to be very cheap & quite well made.
With small consumable items I avoid anything in "4 TRADE" packaging from City Plumbing.......all total tat that would be more suited to being packaged in a xmas cracker !

I've found the Polypipe traps decent enough.

That Floplast rubbish screwfix sells are the devils work, god that telescopic pedestal basin trap cost be an entire morning of swore knees trying to seal the faffing thing.
It woudn't even seal against a standard brass waste, PTFE, two seals, plastic nut done up just right etc, everything I tried it just laughed in my face and kept dripping.

In the end I hade to ditch it for the Polypipe one (non telescopic) and trim a spigot fitting down a touch.

Use the cheaper than Yorkshire budget brand soldered fittings...excellent value and not one leak. Binned all cheap traps, especially the shallow seal ones with the wee rodding eye, they all leak in a short time and using McAlpine.

Find it hard sometimes to get decent copper tube that doesn't rib when bent. Totally binned plastic pushfit now in favour of Cuprofit and I'm back to copper and soldered fittings despite the cost of copper.

You gets what yous pays for!

used to use screwfix traps, struggling to fit them for 2 hours, then went to plumbbase as nearest place, went to fit and was absolutely shocked in the difference, 3 times as expensive but 3 times as fast and reliable.

copper fittings get from screwfix, my guess is that copper is copper, no matter who makes it,

now for bathrooms, stay clear of cheap bathrooms as much as possible, I used Victoria plumb and every single item was absolutely useless took longer then usual to fit, the following week did a bathroom supplied from bath store and was shocked at how easy it was, all very similar items difference was massive though.

Victoria plumb also sent out damaged good, some items had parts missing and were very useless with returns.
However Victoria plumb is 1/2 of the price of Bath store so customers will pick victoria plumb over bath store any day.

I find biggest problem is quoting, screw fix you can see the prices where as everywhere else you need to go in and ask before you can quote. can't stand there for 3 hours asking prices for everything. a bit more balck and white needed for prices.

And even more, if you go to plumb centre, Had a couple customers turn around and say "its only "XX" at screwfix" meaning that you loose the job as they assume they can do the job themselves for a lot cheaper price.

"its only "XX" at screwfix"

should just say "i know it is. i also know why it is."

sometimes i've thought i could submit 2 quotes. one for cheap parts but any callbacks and probs will be chargable, one with quality stuff and callbacks are free. thens its aints mes whos takes the chances

They don't care, price is everything, live in a town where 80% is council or ex council houses.
This is for another post but get most of my work from else where, don't get much from my local town except leaks.

McAlpine traps and WC connectors

Budget end feed fittings

Makita / Hilti power tools

screwfix fasteners

Avoid cheap shower screens and cheap bathrooms

Avoid stuff from Ikea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yes aslong as you remove the old washer eg any...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Sergiu I would use it, but it's hard to...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I forgot to say. All our radiator thermostats...
Replies
Views
Back