Which electrical courses? | Plumbing Courses | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Deleted member 64964
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 1K
  • Tags
    None

Discuss Which electrical courses? in the Plumbing Courses area at Plumbers Forums

D

Deleted member 64964

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forum for years and this has no doubt be done to death like many topics.

I am a heating engineer and have a decent understanding of heating wiring design, install and fault finding.

What's the law on us working on this and is there a course we can do or need to do. I like many others have been doing it for years but I have noticed more and more customers say your a plumber or are you an electrician too lol

And how do I get my Gas badge over there at the side of my name <----------

Thanks in advance

Thermo,

I am waiting with Bated Breath for answers on this one, can a plumber become and electrical engineer over-night or with a bit of a training course, a bit like and electrical engineer getting GSR with a bit of a training course, they're all watching football, give um time...

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forum for years and this has no doubt be done to death like many topics.

I am a heating engineer and have a decent understanding of heating wiring design, install and fault finding.

What's the law on us working on this and is there a course we can do or need to do. I like many others have been doing it for years but I have noticed more and more customers say your a plumber or are you an electrician too lol

And how do I get my Gas badge over there at the side of my name <----------

Thanks in advance

Hi thermo . You need to get your post count over ten and then pm either gasman , croppie or anyone in admin with your gassafe details and they will sort you out. Cheers

Thanks Guys,

I thought this topic would be close to a lot more of us than this, maybe its been done to death before.

I have been thinking about doing a course, but I have no interest in distribution boards etc

I'm both, some of my guys are both... though we're not plumbers we're heating engineers - don't touch c**p side or bathrooms etc..

The old 'Part P' has changed to get on a competent person scheme for electrical (Napit NICEIC / Elecsa etc) you'll need at least a level three qualification.

NICEIC do a '17th Edition course' it's a level 3 course - week long with an exam at the end, costs about £1k from memory, a lot of plumbers / kitchen fitters do it. You'll also need to be competent at testing, knowing what you're testing and fault finding, also you'll need to have two years experience of doing electrics, then you can apply to be a member of a CPS - that IS the short circuit route.

I have been thinking about doing a course, but I have no interest in distribution boards etc
Tough, that's a bit like an electrician saying I have no interest in the water regs, I just want to put in boilers etc.

Last edited:
It depends what you want to do, bpec do an "Electricity for Plumbers" course, designed for plumbers and heating engineers who work on the fixed wiring of heating systems, S & Y plans etc, it doesn't make you a spark, obviously, but it allows you to learn and work with more confidence on the upstream side of the spur, it's like everything else, you can do what you want but if something happens they are looking for at least some proved competence in the field you are working in if it's not your main trade
I'm sure other certification bodies run it, but check it out on bpec's website

Similar plumbing topics

Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
O
  • Article
Are at home Level 2 courses actually viable...
Replies
Views
OLG0824
O
It’s more of a thing in commercial eg dead...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Anyone know of a repair service for Axpert...
Replies
Views
Back