Which hot water system? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Which hot water system? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

I am looking for some advice regarding hot water systems.

I have recently bought a house that I am renovating and the hot water system is going to be replaced, as the current one is ancient. The room configuration is 2 rooms upstairs, 3 downstairs - 2 directly below and another long one in an extension at the back of the house (about 6x3m).

It shouldn't be a big deal to heat, as it's not a big place, but I am wondering about the hot water supply. The shower is a rain shower and uses quite a lot of water and I also have a large bath to fill. I do not want any hot water shortages, water temporarily going cool, etc. Also, I want an electric backup method of heating the water, in case the gas boiler breaks down.

I don't know much about this. I suppose with a tank, I could have an immersion as well, to serve as the backup. But is there some better way to do it?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

If you want to retain a back up in case of boiler troubles, then you have to retain a tank.

If you have the pressure and flow to support it (20 litres per minute and 2 bar or thereabouts) you could go the unvented route, as above.

If pressure / flow is inadequate for an unvented system, you could go for a vented hot water cylinder (with immersion heater) and a pump for the shower. Probably wouldn't need a pump for the bath.

Thanks for all the replies.

Ok, so if the pressure is there, unvented seems the answer.

I realize it's difficult to put an accurate price on it, but assuming the the boiler and tank are supplied by me, roughly what sort of labour cost should I expect, to remove the current boilers (there are 2 at the moment - one for heating, the other for water) and install the new system. The property is completely empty at the moment - not even carpets - so should be fairly easy to work in.

Cheers.

I'm in south Wales. I'd like to move the position of the current boiler as it's not in a good place, though house itself is pretty small, so it wouldn't be going far. Gas runs right through to the back of the house at the moment.

You might need to upgrade pipework from meter to boiler and without looking its hard to price. Why not get a few local gas safe fitters to quote. Look on the gas safe register for fitters in your area. you should get a good idea of prices in your area.
I would also hold off buying any materials until you have had an engineer round.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
IME Mira showers of that age are usually very...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Not to my knowledge but they're not things I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I know there are such things as heat meters...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I'm with Chuck, it may be the shower passing...
Replies
Views
  • Question
To ensure a durable, leak-free connection for...
Replies
Views
Back