Which system cleaner for 14 year old system? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Which system cleaner for 14 year old system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

markyhud

I received some great advice on this forum in the past for draining down and refilling my CH system. However I am still having problems with air/gassing in the system. At some point in the next few weeks I'm going to tackle this and plan on adding a cleaning agent. I have been looking at Sentinel X400 and Fernox F3. My CH system is 14 year old, hot water tank in airing cupboard and f&e tank in the loft and it has never had a cleaning agent used. I am forever having to bleed the pipework in the airing cupboard in the summer and then in the winter when the rads are on all the air/gas collects in the bathroom rad. When I bleed the rad it spurts black water but then runs clear. All is quiet for a few days and then the gurgling/bubbling noise returns. I have no cold spots in the bottom of any rads so do I actually have sludge?
Which cleaner is easiest and safest to use that i can just run, drain and then refill. oh and which inhibitor should I use?
Thanks in advance

Fernox F5 Heavy Duty cleaner, Fernox F1 inhibitor, and fit a inline filter, but you could have other issues if you keep getting lots of air in your system.

Fernox F5 Heavy Duty cleaner, Fernox F1 inhibitor, and fit a inline filter, but you could have other issues if you keep getting lots of air in your system.

Cheers. Just had a quick search and the F5 seems to be for use with powerflushing

X800 is the same. It's a more powerful cleaner that's all leave it in for a week.

X400.is only for systems up to 6 months old

Ok I'm confused as this is from sentinel's website

"Specifically designed for existing systems,
Sentinel X400 System Restorer is a non-acid treatment for cleaning older heating systems, restoring circulation to radiators and pipework"
and
"X300 cleaner helps to maintain system efficiency and conserve fuel.

• Cleans new heating systems up to 6 months old"
:thinking:

I've also read that the X800 tends to foam and is hard to remove. I have to point out that I'm very much a novice but quite prepared to have a a go at stuff given the right direction. With this is mind which is easiest to use and least harmful to the system etc??

Use. X800 for pretty much every job . Have a few times used neat hcl. ( de scaling fluid)

Cheers. Just had a quick search and the F5 seems to be for use with powerflushing
Does not need to be used with power flush, just add it to system, keep in system for 7 to 10 days but you need to use heating F5 works better when hot, find with sentinel products you have to leave them in system a lot longer, used Fernox for years never had any problems, Why not just ring their Tec dept and have a chat with them, if you are not sure what to do ! get someone in, they can check out your system at the same time as to why you are getting lots of air in system.

OK so it looks like X800 is the way to go. Just a couple of things. There seems to be conflicting opinions on how long to leave it in the system so....... how long? I'm presuming it's best to circulate at highest pump speed and have also read to close off all but one rad at a time. Is this the case? If I do have sludge will it remove/suspend this as well as products that are specifically branded as sludge removers? (i.e F3 and X400)
I am concerned at the term "heavy duty" in the title of this product. As it seems to be stronger than the X400 can it lead to stress and leaks at any weak joints or is this not the case as it is meant to be non-acidic?
Sorry if these questions are annoying to you professionals out there

Whatever cleaner you use , there will be the risk of leaks ! once the chemical starts to work.

Fit a Magnaclean first and leave system as it is and run it then run it some more until Magnaclean is clean. Then flush out with water then refill and add 2l of x100.

Incidentally I see some eBay sellers are selling F3 and F1 at seriously cheap prices. Has anyone ordered from eBay? For the novice I probably wouldn't be able to tell if it wasn't the genuine product. What do folk think?

Fit a Magnaclean first and leave system as it is and run it then run it some more until Magnaclean is clean. Then flush out with water then refill and add 2l of x100.

Yeah that is definitely an option worth considering. Cheers.

Incidentally I see some eBay sellers are selling F3 and F1 at seriously cheap prices. Has anyone ordered from eBay? For the novice I probably wouldn't be able to tell if it wasn't the genuine product. What do folk think?

its probably a large companys van stock left over from jobs they never botherd using it on. If its old or been stored in cold for a long time its probably not worth the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Sentinel X700 biocide is very expensive, I’m...
Replies
Views
Yep, that's what I meant (as per attached...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Red circles show my new AAVs and the manual...
Replies
Views
  • Question
In a nutshell, a TT test will only tend to...
Replies
Views
Everything working fine on PP mode - thanks...
Replies
Views
Back