who pays to replace service pipe? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss who pays to replace service pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOD

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys,
I'm after a bit of advice (again)

I have a customer who's only getting 16mb wp at the meter. I got SGN to change the regulator but it made hardly any difference.
The service pipe has been lined in the past with a 20mm liner and there is a test point upstream of the ecv - the SGN guy tested the wp here and only got 16mb.

He said "new service pipe required at customers expense" , I'm thinking it's their responsibility to provide enough gas up to the meter - or am I wrong ?

yes in a normal situation the gas main, meter, ecv belong to the gas supplier and as such any faults are there responsibilty. If the old main can not be replaced as fitted then they will normally even repipe on the outlet side to existing pipework when the meter is repositioned.

i have heard that they are trying to save money and are now charging for work they used to always do for free. for example the removal of an old parmali box replaced with new style inset box used to be free but i believe they now charge. But as your problem is with there gas main it there problem.

I would have said it was their expense as its their equipment. Its not like its a new service being laid for the first time (i.e. new build)

It is their responsibility, not the customers.

I would say it is up to them to replace, if i remember write reading a thread on here before someone else had a similar issue after a supply had been relined and then had insufficent pressure and the whole line was replaced in a bigger size. I would be tempted to add into a phone conversation that the low pressure has caused damage to the boiler and your customer will be passing the repair coists on to them as a result

I was of the understanding the Gas transporter must supply a minimum pressure of 19 mbar at the outlet of the ECV. This is off top of my head from browsing standards during last ACS.

The property is at the end of a cul de sac, and the gas meter is about 25 meters from the boundary so I guess they could be on the end of the line but to be honest I would have expected to see a bit more pressure on their side of the regulator.
I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to sort it out - thanks for your views :)

I was of the understanding the Gas transporter must supply a minimum pressure of 19 mbar at the outlet of the ECV. This is off top of my head from browsing standards during last ACS.

this is what I was taught, but I've been told their legal obligation is a lower figure than this.

No,this isnt acceptable. The customer needs to re-report it as a low pressure. When you say 16mb..where was this measured and was it standing or working pressure? I'm assuming its working?

No,this isnt acceptable. The customer needs to re-report it as a low pressure. When you say 16mb..where was this measured and was it standing or working pressure? I'm assuming its working?
it was working pressure and was tested upstream of the regulator (ie at a test point on the gas transporters side of the ecv".
It's been reported again & I'm waiting to hear the outcome - will let you know.

Last edited:
update - got a call from Southern Gas early this week confirming low working pressure at meter was their responsibility and they would pay to sort it out.
2 guys started digging yesterday, and then today there were 6 guys
Anyway hopefully it'll all be sorted by the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Your gas rate is your big one to check. Well...
Replies
Views
More than fine then in 11/5 tube should be...
Replies
Views
Back