Whole House Pump - Advice Needed Please | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Whole House Pump - Advice Needed Please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all, would appreciate anyone's thoughts with more experience of installing whole house pumps than me (1st one).

All cold outlets are fed directly from the water mains (pressure hovers around 4 bars). I'm installing a 4.3 bar pump to pump all hot water outlets in the house only, thus balancing the pressures (or nearly anyway).

The customer has a Raeburn solid fuel cooker and so I can't install an unvented cylinder which would have been my preferred option.

The hot water cylinder is dual coil for the solid fuel cooker and a normal LPG combi boiler.

As there is no temperature control on hot water for the Raeburn I am planning on plumbing the pump in as follows: -

1.) 28mm cold feed to the hot water cylinder.
2.) 22mm tee off cold feed to hot water cylinder to supply cold inlet of thermostatic blending valve.
3.) 22mm open vent runs from top of hot water cylinder straight to CWSC as normal.
4.) Hot water supply for house drawn from 22mm Essex flange 2/3 of the way up the hot water cylinder. This goes into hot inlet of thermostatic blending valve.
5.) Outlet of thermostatic blending valve supplies hot water outlets.

The manufacturer says the cylinder has to be supplied in 28mm but my question is can anyone forsee any problems in teeing into the cold feed to supply the blending valve? My thoughts are the more cold water that needs to go into the blending valve the less that is needed to fill the hot water cylinder.

I could run a separate 22mm feed to the blending valve from the CWSC but it would be a real pain - to put it in perspective it took me 8 hours to run the cold feed in 28mm to the cylinder today. An old 200 year old cottage, never have I seen such a pain in the backside pipe run!

Thoughts appreciated before I get back to work tomorrow!

Cheers,

Keiran.

I would have pointed them in the direction of a thermal store. Sounds as though it would have been easier and possibly cheaper.

Have a look at H2 panel option and install an unvented cylinder
It may cost a bit more but would be much better system if fitted correctly

Hi all,

System is already purchased so I'm stuck with what I have now. Can anyone shed any thoughts on whether the proposed plumbing of the blending valve will work? I'm just trying to work out if there is anything to be gained from running a separate cold feed to the blending valve in 22mm direct from the CWSC. I can't see any need for it but I wonder if anyone else can?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi SI......is the shower on the same floor as...
Replies
Views
T
  • Question
Sounds OK so long as the heating system is...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
not sure if it would or not, but already...
Replies
Views
A simple thing i'd probably check is the...
Replies
Views
Back