Why does toilet keep flushing ONLY in the mornings? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Why does toilet keep flushing ONLY in the mornings? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

youandiare

When we flush our toilet for the first or second time of the day, the flush continue to run for about 45-60 mins after and then just stops. This very occasionally happens during the day if we are in but happens every morning without fail. Can anyone explain why this would happen in the morning?

We have a handyman who lives upstairs and the landlord uses him to do repairs. He's apparently a plumber by trade and says he has fixed our flush (installing a new one, but also breaking the toilet seat in the process!) but the problem persists. Not sure what to do - probably go over the head of my landlord and just get another plumber in? It would be good to have some expert insight into what the issue might be so I can tell my landlord.

cheers in advance!

What type of toilet do you have? By that I mean, - is it a push button cistern or has it a syphon inside it?
My guess is the fill valve is filling too fast which might be a higher flow in periods of less usage of local mains, like early mornings. Could also be the flush is too slow a flow perhaps due to a blockage somewhere between the cistern to the bowl.

We have a handyman who lives upstairs and the landlord uses him to do repairs. He's apparently a plumber by trade and says he has fixed our flush (installing a new one, but also breaking the toilet seat in the process!) but the problem persists

Are you sure the plumber has actually changed the dump valve? Chances are he just ''cleaned'' the bottom washer inside hoping it will dislodge any grit/dirt causing the valve to not close completely after flushing.
Some peeps keep putting this toilet 'cleaning' thingy, blue/green etc inside the toilet, but in the long run, it ends up lodging itself in the bottom seal and causing the toilet to leak into bowl as valve can't shut properly

Keep pestering the landlord, it is his problem not yours. Keep a record of water usage and tell him you will be claiming the difference from him until the problem is sorted.

We have a handyman who lives upstairs and the landlord uses him to do repairs. He's apparently a plumber by trade and says he has fixed our flush (installing a new one, but also breaking the toilet seat in the process!) but the problem persists. Not sure what to do -

Go knock his door and explain the problem.

He doesn't sound like he cares much, but if he's that type just impose on him. Ask to have a look at his toilet, get him to explain how it works. War of attrition until he realizes it's easier to just do the job.

If that fails, get back onto the landlord about it, plus new a toilet seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Probably your main stopcock is not fitted the...
Replies
Views
M
You can easily change the flush volume and see...
Replies
Views
D
"Toilet pan" is UK speak for "Toilet bowl"...
Replies
Views
You can hire a cheap plumber or a good...
Replies
Views
Sounds like he was in too deep. At least he...
Replies
Views
Back