Why is my boiler doing this? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Why is my boiler doing this? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

saabuldin

I have 8 rads in my terraced house, all rads except bath room have trv 's. What i did was switch all off except 1 bedroom and bathroom. The thermostat is in that same bedroom. What the boiler is doing is firing for about 25 seconds and then turning off for a bit then firing, in a cycle.

The 2 rads are heating up like they should. But why is the boiler going on and off continuously?

And am I saving money as boiler goes on and off?

Thanks in advance.

I'm an electrician by the way.

Your boiler if its a modern one that is will modulate down to say 8kw.
you re most likely only needing 2kw, so the boiler fires up, return gets hot quick, boiler shuts off on its stat and repeat.

It sounds like the output from the rads is lower than the minimum output from the boiler which is right unless the two rads are huge. Basically the boiler is producing too much heat for the rads to use so is cutting out as it is up to its max temperature. As the temp drops it will kick back in then cut out and so on. Not an ideal for the boiler will be better to have an all round low heat in the other rooms to avoid the boiler cycling on and off. Its actually cheaper to heat every room if only a little.

I have 8 rads in my terraced house, all rads except bath room have trv 's. What i did was switch all off except 1 bedroom and bathroom. The thermostat is in that same bedroom. What the boiler is doing is firing for about 25 seconds and then turning off for a bit then firing, in a cycle.

The 2 rads are heating up like they should. But why is the boiler going on and off continuously?

And am I saving money as boiler goes on and off?

Thanks in advance.

I'm an electrician by the way.
all sparkies will be shot on site

No chances given , you had yours and you decided to be a
electrician .... Now open all the valves on all rads and enjoy your weekend

We have a good network of plumbers all over the UK

they will fit you a replacement boiler at a reasonable price.
my only concern is, they may not be willing to let you 'wire' the boiler and it's controls? especially if it's a system boiler.

Last edited:
they will fit you a replacement boiler at a reasonable price.
my only concern is, they may not be willing to let you 'wire' the boiler and it's controls? especially if it's a system boiler.

Thanks for offer but il run this one till it dies.

Another question. If my room doesn't reach stat temperature after 3hours. The Rad is big enough for the room by working out btu output and room size, what do you u think the problem is. I set to 19 and it went to 18 from 15 in 3 hours

balancing, undersized rad, roomstat in the wrong place..............probably fitted by a sparks ;)

are the rads valves fully open?

If your boiler is cycling, then the rads wont have time to heat up as boiler keeps turning on and off to prevent it from overheating. Turn other rads on. BTW, if your boiler thermostat is set to low, then that is the temperature that your room will be as, regardless of the thermostat setting

Thanks for offer but il run this one till it dies.

Another question. If my room doesn't reach stat temperature after 3hours. The Rad is big enough for the room by working out btu output and room size, what do you u think the problem is. I set to 19 and it went to 18 from 15 in 3 hours

*facepalm*

youre not just heating the room, youre heating the fabric of the building aswell.

so with only two rads on out of 8.............

If your boiler is cycling, then the rads wont have time to heat up as boiler keeps turning on and off to prevent it from overheating. Turn other rads on. BTW, if your boiler thermostat is set to low, then that is the temperature that your room will be as, regardless of the thermostat setting

But Rad is hot like normal and I got wireless stat. Rad been hot for 3 hours.

*facepalm*

youre not just heating the room, youre heating the fabric of the building aswell.

so with only two rads on out of 8.............

Oh right I get it now. So it will take longer to heat fabric building then heat room

Another question. Have any of you guys fitted wireless trv ' s. The ones controlled from pc or phone so you have separate zones. Like Upstairs and Downstairs separate. Are they any good and what brand would you recommend?

Is the boiler flow temp set high enough? most probably undersized rad. Heat loss is worked out with internal doors closed, I bet yours isn't and the heat is going to the rest of the un heated house.

Honeywell all the way not seen them controlled by anything other than a controller panel tho. There designed as an option to provide time and temp control which is pretty pointless if you have a non condenser or don't use all the rads on the system. Waste of money for very little gain TBH expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for all replies. I thought I was out of...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
well, I really cannot see what extra features...
Replies
Views
G
If its not producing heat then it's not firing...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I have Worcester combi boiler which has...
Replies
Views
Andy Jackson
A
Back