Why is the puffa jacket on hot water cylinder burnt? | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Why is the puffa jacket on hot water cylinder burnt? in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Hi,

Recently bought a 1930s semi and was checking the attic out.

Can any one tell me why the puffa jacket on this hot water cylinder is burnt - has it overheated? Since both the pipe near it is copper and the cylinder itself is copper, if it overheated wouldnt both sides of the puffa jacket be burnt?

also if I put pipe insulation on that copper pipe would the insulation melt? I got some economy stuff from toolstation!

I note there is a green wire thats disconnected as well - should this be screwed in like the other green wire?

The surveyor mentioned the cylinder incorporates a immersion heater but was unable to detect if there is a cylinder stat fitted to control and prevent the water over heating. Who would fit this - a plumber or electrician?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• burnt_puffa.jpg
    burnt_puffa.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 123
The immersion has a stat. Leave it alone.
In the new year get a local plumber in to check things out and advise you on a better system.
Looks like you have or had an old circulator feeding the cylinder. They were good 40 years ago.
Your electrics need looking at and updated too.

I think the surveyor might have meant a limit/overheat stat not just the immersion thermostat, it is new rules to only fit immersion heaters with this safety thermostat fitted to them to stop the cylinder overheating, from your picture it looks old and would not have one fitted, Do you use the immersion to heat the water? or is it just for emergency use eg if boiler breaksdown.
If it is used everyday to heat your water I would highly recommend you get one fitted.

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
22 mm will give better flow rate, to bath...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks, I'll insulate it then. Would the...
Replies
Views
Back