Wiring a replacement Worcester RI | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Wiring a replacement Worcester RI in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_the_plumber

Gas Engineer
Hello all.

Im hoping for some help with wiring a Worcester RI heat only boiler please.

I need to replace an Ideal FF250 P boiler with the worcester.

only thing is I only have live neutral earth in 3 core sticking out of the wall in utility room.

the rest of controls are upstairs in airing cupboard.

I figure a could bring another live neutral earth from a spur in utility.

then use the existing cable in the room stat ports in the boiler to make a switch.

Another method would be to use the green star wiring centre?

im not very clear atm, I would appreciate some help.

thanks v much...Dan :)

is the 3 core live a permanent live or switch live? not 100% but dont think the ri's dont need a permanent live

Well I think it must be live to switch live. It was just brining the old boiler on and off. I guess I'll have to make sure on my next site visit.

sorry it's been a while, I didn't mean to post in the wrong section :/

will be switch live if it was turning the boiler on but the problem is that the pump needs to be connected to the boiler as for pump overrun

Last edited:
will be switch live if it was turning the boiler on

Yeah that's what I thought, thanks :)

I'm not sure though if I need to provide a perminant live though.

And then can I use 240V (from the y plan motorised valves) through the room stat ports?

Or does it need to be 12v? Maybe then I could take grey and orange out of motorised valves or something?

Electrical systems are a bit of a gap in my knowledge I must admit :(

Yeah that's what I thought, thanks :)

I'm not sure though if I need to provide a perminant live though.

And then can I use 240V (from the y plan motorised valves) through the room stat ports?

Or does it need to be 12v? Maybe then I could take grey and orange out of motorised valves or something?

Electrical systems are a bit of a gap in my knowledge I must admit :(

just wire it up as a normal y plan but ignore the pump as it needs to be wired to the boiler for pump overrun on the pcb (so do some dont require pump overrun)

512px-Y-Plan-Wiring.gif

if you cant i would get a sparky in

Last edited:
just looked at and manual it requires a permanent LNE, sw L to make the boiler fire , and pump out LNE

Mains power 230v connection (ST1):
– Connect LIVE wire to terminal (L)
– Connect NEUTRAL wire to the terminal (N)
– Connect EARTH wire to earth bracket

External Pump (ST2):
– Connect NEUTRAL wire to terminal (Np)
– Connect LIVE wire to terminal (Lp)
– Connect EARTH wire to earth bracket

Boiler Demand (from external wiring centre) (ST2):
– Connect SWITCHED LIVE wire to terminal (LR).

Last edited:
Just run another cable in. Or you could maybe consider a wireless relay setup for the pump if it's impossible to get the cable in.

Thanks for that, that seams pretty spot on to me.

Problem is that it's far from being an easy cable run from the boiler downstairs to airing cupboard for additional wiring.

I Also need to keep customer inconvenience to a minimum, so lifting floorboards etc is out.

I think what I'll have to do is use the GreenStar wiring centre. I think the deal here is to pull all wires out of existing wiring centre and shove them into the plug blocks provided. Then I think the plugs attach inside the wiring centre, presumably its labelled, pump, room stat, cylinder stat, programmer. I should then be able to use the existing 3 core (earth wire trimmed back) to form the 12v ebus connection.

Perminant live can come from a separate fused spur in utility room next to boiler.

I think this is right..... I hope...lol :))

Thanks for that, that seams pretty spot on to me.

Problem is that it's far from being an easy cable run from the boiler downstairs to airing cupboard for additional wiring.

I Also need to keep customer inconvenience to a minimum, so lifting floorboards etc is out.

I think what I'll have to do is use the GreenStar wiring centre. I think the deal here is to pull all wires out of existing wiring centre and shove them into the plug blocks provided. Then I think the plugs attach inside the wiring centre, presumably its labelled, pump, room stat, cylinder stat, programmer. I should then be able to use the existing 3 core (earth wire trimmed back) to form the 12v ebus connection.

Perminant live can come from a separate fused spur in utility room next to boiler.

I think this is right..... I hope...lol :))

what size boiler you using i only ask because im sure ive seen somewhere is only compatible with the 27Ri or 30Ri

As stated boiler requires permanent L N E as it is now what is powering the pump. The minimum you need at the boiler is 5 cores permanent L N E pump live and switch live you can pick the pump nuteral and earth up in the wiring center if not you'll be needing them too. No offence but from the sounds of it you'll be better off getting a spark in to take care of it for you.

I was planning on fitting the RI 24kw LPG. However I'll double check compatibility with Worcester tech in the morning.

Thanks v much!! Dan :)

Hello by the sounds of it you are going to have to run a wire, its not that bad if the joists are going the right way or take the wire up to the loft across and down in airing cupboard. is there a internal soil stack near by?

Hello by the sounds of it you are going to have to run a wire, its not that bad if the joists are going the right way or take the wire up to the loft across and down in airing cupboard. is there a internal soil stack near by?

You've made me think twice actually I might just bite the bullet and run the cable.

The GreenStar wiring centre is very expensive anyway.

Thanks...Dan :)

If you go on Worcesters web site you can down load a wiring diagram pack, it is very good just make sure you have got enough paper in the printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
Thank you - clears a few things up for me.
Replies
Views
Burger
B
F
Thanks Ray for that very helpful info, off to...
Replies
Views
Frank Noton
F
Yes some are linked internally eg Drayton...
Replies
Views
C
Leave it on constant and control it via a...
Replies
Views
Back