Without heating or water A WEEK and counting | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Without heating or water A WEEK and counting in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

A

alicejones

Hi all,
I need some advice. I'm currently renting my property, and have now been without hot water or heating for a week.

So there is a tank in the loft that has some kind of leak going on but you can't see anything dripping. The plumber did come out, he tried replacing a valve but the leak/damp patch is still there.
The cold water comes out hot when the hot water has been on. The water is usually on a timer for and 1hr a day, but the cold tap can still be warm/hot at 11 'clock at night. There is also a hot water tank.

Last Thursday the electrics tripped, this was caused by the boiler system.
An electrician came round an tested the water tack which is fitted with a smart system, and the programmer. His opinion was that the pump attached to the hot water tank that was making the system trip. (the fuse that trips is for all the sockets in the house)

A plumber came, he replaced and tested the pump, only to find that didn't solve the fault.

The electrician and plumber returned together, fitted a new pump, and came up with a diagnosis; the PCB board in the boiler was making the system trip. This is still yet to be changed so when the part comes I might be able to tell you all YEahy it's fixed! But the bad luck we are having with it all I really could do with a second opinion.

Why is there a leak still in the loft?
Why does my cold water come out hot?

Is this all connected to the fuse tripping for the boiler system?

I'm not sure of the make of boiler as I am at work, but there is a boiler in the kitchen, a programmer, a hot water storage tank at the top of the stairs which has a "smart meter" attached to it, and a black square tank in the loft.

Thank you for reading, look forward to getting some help.

1. If you are renting, then I'd suggest the problem is the landlord's, not yours. Leaving a tenant without heating or hot water or heating for a week just isn't on. At the very least he / she should be providing electric heaters for the rooms. If there is an immersion heater in the hot water cylinder, this could be used to provide hot water.

2. I'd be very surprised if the boiler PCB is causing the electric circuit breaker to trip.

3. Cold water coming out hot suggests that the hot water cylinder is overheating, and the excess hot water is going up the vent pipe (as it should) into the cold water cylinder. This could also account for the leak, particularly if the overflow pipe from the cold water cistern is badly fitted.

4. Does the cold water from the kitchen also come out hot. If not then it reinforces 3. above. If it does then there is either a very peculiar problem, or the kitchen cold also comes from the cold water cistern in the loft.

I would suggest that you insist that the letting agents and / or landlord get in a reputable firm of plumbers / heating engineers to diagnose the true fault and correct it. If this does not get done soon, enquire (Local Authority, Citizens Advice etc.) what your rights are.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you Shaun. Where would we have a gate...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
PH is 7.5. Chloride is 194. The last water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
In around 8 -10 mins you’ve run out of hot water
Replies
Views
Back