wood burner and unvented???!!!!!!!!!!!! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss wood burner and unvented???!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXR100

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
a plumber told me today he was installing an unvented cylinder with a log burner warming it up, sureley he means a thermal store doesent he??? or is there a way that it is legal to connect both up, when i did my unvented eam i was told strictly no solid fuel/uncontroled source to heat an unvented up!

As far as I'm aware it's the only legal way

Looks overly complicated. Was thinking a while back about how to link solid fuel to a sealed gas/oil system and could only think of using a plate hex, although obviously a thermal store would do. Dunno why I even bother thinking about these things, I never get any interesting jobs! :(

I looked at the h2 panel it is actually not that complicated well the electrical side may be I don't know
But I liked the idea in principal I'm not a big fan of thermal stores

I'd love to have a shot at one. Still think there must be another way lol. Maybe I should invent it.

I spoke with the man that incensed the h panels nice bloke a plumber for 30 years
So invent away mate

My biggest gripe would be the need for the system to be open vent instead of sealed and all the benefits that brings.

Anyone tried [DLMURL="http://www.systemlink.ie/knowledge-zone/sample-zoning-layouts/zoning-with-solid-fuel-and-open-systems"]These[/DLMURL] ?

I found them good, not too happy with the minilex but not necessary for most jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically a neutraliser. Its been a while since i saw anyone stipulate an inverted feed :wink:

[DLMURL]http://www.systemlink.ie/products/plate-heat-exchangers[/DLMURL]

This is what I was talking about. Better solution than the H2 IMO

[DLMURL="http://www.systemlink.ie/products/plate-heat-exchangers"]Plate Heat Exchangers[/DLMURL]

This is what I was talking about. Better solution than the H2 IMO
still an open vent cylinder tho

The open vent cylinder is not absolutely necessary if you have a well sized rad for a heat sink, after all the open vent cylinder is only acting as a heat sink for the expansion to the F+E

Obviously a bit of system planning is required to ensure the heat sink is not causing restriction on the pipework but no reason why it won't work.

just finished a job today with a brosely hercules multifuel stove 22kw back boiler loading a 1000 ltr buffer tank via a laddomat load valve and a conventional s plan system running off the tank with upstairs and downstairs zones left the system running this afternoon with the tank getting nicely warm and the heating running albeit the rads only about 40 deg but will soon be up to temp just hope she doesnt get worn out filling the stove its a greedy bu**er

The open vent cylinder is not absolutely necessary if you have a well sized rad for a heat sink, after all the open vent cylinder is only acting as a heat sink for the expansion to the F+E

Obviously a bit of system planning is required to ensure the heat sink is not causing restriction on the pipework but no reason why it won't work.

Sounds good Pete
But no building control would pass it in the uk

just finished a job today with a brosely hercules multifuel stove 22kw back boiler loading a 1000 ltr buffer tank via a laddomat load valve and a conventional s plan system running off the tank with upstairs and downstairs zones left the system running this afternoon with the tank getting nicely warm and the heating running albeit the rads only about 40 deg but will soon be up to temp just hope she doesnt get worn out filling the stove its a greedy bu**er

Open vent Yes?

I went to a similar install a while back, customer had a problem with banging pipes, it had been installed as a sealed system with a good distance between the stove and buffer, what didn't help was the garage floor where the buffer was fitted dropped about 600mm below the house floor level, the bends in the return (low level) were effectively making it an anti gravity loop.

I proposed raising the buffer (best I could get was level) and changing to open vent system, customer was only interested in a better quality pipe stat to control the pump.

Naturally I refused to touch it, even left the call out charge behind me (which is unusual).

I can't understand why anyone would fit such a big stove in the house, they should only be sold with a wheel barrow as a standard attachment, if they can get enough fuel to make the stove worth while then a gasification boiler is the best option as all fuel and associated dirt is left outside.

Just my lazy humble opinion.

yes open vent on the buffer but a 210 ltr indirect unvented cylinder on the s plan this property is an old pub so a big place with 15 rads but i dont think they will put up with it for long it will need lots of fuel to keep it going ....... previous system was 2x25kw lpg boilers !!!! in parallel

Basic math LOL yet they can cash up each night and have all the skills needed to run a pub.

Looks like an ideal candidate for a pellet boiler, you have half the job done.

There are not many of us left who know the dark arts :wink:

I like the wheelbarrow bit. They will definitely need one :lol:

Basic math LOL yet they can cash up each night and have all the skills needed to run a pub.

Looks like an ideal candidate for a pellet boiler, you have half the job done.

should have said used to be a pub .... change of use to a residence now i said they should have a pellet boiler but they knew better i think things may change if we have a cold winter but yes at least the hard work is done there are plenty of spare tappings left on the tank lol

Solid fuel is uncontrolled heat source. therefore unvented systems have to be seperate from this source of heat. can be done as shown in the earlier posts. thermal store is probably the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

http://www.h2panel.co.uk/h2layout_a.htm...
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Where is the pump fitted on the Woodburner...
Replies
Views
C
You could prob have two circuits joined by a...
Replies
Views
A
Living in the country, then why not oil...
Replies
Views
Back