wood burner back boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss wood burner back boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

carljon

Hi thinking of fitting a couple of rads to run off my wood burner back boiler. Its only about 3 kw. Any hints or tips that might be usefull?I'm not doing anything else with it at the moment, will it still need a heat sink?

Pipe the rads so they work on gravity and you have your heat sink, dont forget you need a f&e tank, float & overflow able to cope with boiling water

Thanks for the reply. I was going to use a pump for the flow and return, don't I need this now. Also the pipe runs are at ceiling height, dropping down to the rads. Will this work with just gravity?

No it won't, anything coming off solid fuel needs to run of gravity circulation, the only way you could do it (technically), is run it into a open vented heat bank then run a pumped flow and return off the heat bank. You would still need to incorporate a heatleak. The heat bank would need to be around 150 ltrs (I think), so hardly really worth it.

As a warning, I strongly advise trying to cut corners as it can do a lot of damage if done incorrectly. Solid fuel can easily melt soldered joints if system doest work correctly.

Thanks for the advise. Does anyone have a schematic for a gravity system. The back boiler only has a flow and return inlet and outlet. Do the rads need to be above the boiler for the gravity flow to work, I take it the higher, the more efficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Very informative...........thx🙄
Replies
Views
Of yes of course, I never thought of that! At...
Replies
Views
Time and make a note of how long the boiler is...
Replies
Views
D
H2 with combi and stove? Combi sealed system...
Replies
Views
All sorted now and running better than ever...
Replies
Views
Back