wood burning stove/w Back boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss wood burning stove/w Back boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tomkelly

Hi all. I have a wood burning stove w/back boiler connected to my central heating/hot water primary circuit. This is also connected to a gas boiler that I hardly ever use. When the fire is at full pelt I cant get the heat away quick enough so have to turn the circulating pump on at the boiler controls, I was wondering if there is a pipe stat that could be wired up to the pump to do this automatically. Its ok if Im home but if the pumps not on Im worried about a big boom if Im not home. Any ideas? Cheers Tom

Sounds like this is a bit of a DIY install

But as a question. Yes there are pipe stats you can get and you can use them to control things. Screw fits sell them.

If your worried about it exploding. I would get a heatas registered installer in. Just to check it over

You def. need a pipe stat which you can get most plumbing places. Without it cylinder will overheat & hot water into exp. tank. Not good for system. You dont want cold water being pumped through stove when fire dies down either.Pipe stat. should be positioned where it stops fire overheating soon enough, but not too quick, if you know what I mean? On long runs of primaries ( and even short runs) it might be best on return where it leaves cylinder. Think it's a regulation anyhow.Check spec of stove.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's not been wired properly in the first place. In Scotland we always fit an "anti boil" stat on any SF system. The Pipe stat is fitted on the HW primary circuit. It basically switches a live to the pump to loose the heat from the system to the rads. This stops it from boiling over.

Should have mentioned heat leak radiator of a certain output is required as what would happen when electric goes off or pump fails? Pipe stat not much good then.

A heat leak radiator is a good addition to this particular type of system but not necessarily essential. I.e. how many times have you had a power cut or had to change your pump? Even with a heat leak rad it would still eventually boil over if you had the appliance on full pelt.

A heat leak radiator is a good addition to this particular type of system but not necessarily essential. I.e. how many times have you had a power cut or had to change your pump? Even with a heat leak rad it would still eventually boil over if you had the appliance on full pelt.
I totally agree Magicplumb, it would need a lot more than 1 rad to stop it boiling over even if fire not full pelt, but just mentioning it as stove manufactors seem to ask for it & building control. Homes have done without it for years with little harm but still good to have a heat leak, - esp. in a bathroom.

I totally agree Magicplumb, it would need a lot more than 1 rad to stop it boiling over even if fire not full pelt, but just mentioning it as stove manufactors seem to ask for it & building control. Homes have done without it for years with little harm but still good to have a heat leak, - esp. in a bathroom.

Here here...........

Thanks to all who replied.I have a rad connecteted to the primaries, in the bathroom, but as someone pointed out its not enough. also Ive inherited this set up and plan to install a thermal store solar ect. next year. Again thanks for the advice ill fit a stat on the return for now and see how I get on. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Of yes of course, I never thought of that! At...
Replies
Views
D
H2 with combi and stove? Combi sealed system...
Replies
Views
D
https://salamanderstoves.com/product/small-stov...
Replies
Views
C
You could prob have two circuits joined by a...
Replies
Views
Very informative...........thx🙄
Replies
Views
Back