Wood burning to heat pump | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Wood burning to heat pump in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run ,
So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to connect to the heating system,
So while the wood burning on during winter months it will stop the heat pump for working hard Or not all all .
My question is how can I do this without a ( expansion tank ) .
My plain was run the flow and return over head then drop then where the flow and return come out of the heat pump system, about a 8 mts straight run I will need to use a pump for this run .
As anyone don’t this ? Any advise please .
Any reason why it won’t work ?
Thanks .

Your wood burner will be an uncontrolled heat source. You will need an open vented system on the wood burner side and a way to control the flow and exchange of heated water. This is done with an open vented store of hot water to be used as a heat exchanger. You can't do this without an "expansion tank" as you are describing it. That expansion tank is actually an open vented heat store of some kind.

I'm not an expert on this subject by any means but this is something that all needs a really careful design.

I wouldn’t bother at all more hassle than it’s worth as the two systems arnt easily compatible due to one being high temp uncontrolled and the other being low temp

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Best you contact Daikin and see what they say...
Replies
Views
B
  • Question
Where is the pump fitted on the Woodburner...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ok thanks very much I will try that.
Replies
Views
  • Question
This sounds dangerously intriguing!! Keep us...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Problem found, it was a blockage... mostly in...
Replies
Views
Back