wood stove back boiler/gas boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss wood stove back boiler/gas boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spycatcher

hi guys, I have a central heating system run of a wood burning stove with a back boiler, it works great but can take a couple of hours to heat up. at certain times it would be great to just switch on a gas boiler to heat things up instantly, is it possible to incorporate both, cheers

Anything is possible if you want to chuck enough ££££££ at it. A lot more complicated than two t's and two bits of pipe though.

Upgrade to a thermal store and a nice log gasification boiler? Top it up with stove?

hi guys, I have a central heating system run of a wood burning stove with a back boiler, it works great but can take a couple of hours to heat up. at certain times it would be great to just switch on a gas boiler to heat things up instantly, is it possible to incorporate both, cheers

I fitted exactly this in my house. You need a thermal store and someone who knows about them, gas and solid fuel systems. It won't be cheap but it's a lovely system.

thanks for the replies

wots a thermal store and just how much are we talking about?

Nothing is ever cheap. A thermal store is really just a big (or not so big) hot water tank with a couple of extra fittings on it. Prices depend on size and what is on it but range from a few hundred to a few thousand. You need to size it properly. Google H2 panel too for a different set up.

aye that h2 panel looks like the kindo thing needed, I take you don't need a thermal store with it

No just a suitably sized heat leak rad (one that works on gravity) to keep things under control if the power is cut.

I often wondered what would happen if the electricity went off and the pump stopped working, would the back boiler not boil its head off

I often wondered what would happen if the electricity went off and the pump stopped working, would the back boiler not boil its head off

Not if the system was designed correctly

The pipesize and run from the boiler should be such that there would be gravity flow to the heat leak radiator or whatever, without the aid of a pump.

Of course if you kept throwing fuel on the fire with no pump running, it's likely that the heat leak will be overcome and unable to loose the heat.

hi snowhead, thanks for your reply, the house is a bungalow with all radiators on ground level (10), there is a 140ltr hot water tank in the attic directly above the stove but it says on the tank that it should not be used as gravity fed that it needs a pump which is also in the attic beside it, if the electric goes out which it has already done today, but the heat in the fire was really low so it was ok, do you think if I ran the hot water off it would be ok until the heat in the fire died down

Errrr sounds a bit dangerous. Pump resists convection currents. My advise would be extinguish fire. But that's me being "safe"

Can't find link posted it up befor on similar thread about a month ago. Look on forum ?

hi snowhead, thanks for your reply, the house is a bungalow with all radiators on ground level (10), there is a 140ltr hot water tank in the attic directly above the stove but it says on the tank that it should not be used as gravity fed that it needs a pump which is also in the attic beside it, if the electric goes out which it has already done today, but the heat in the fire was really low so it was ok, do you think if I ran the hot water off it would be ok until the heat in the fire died down

Who fitted it
It's done wrong and should not be used till it's fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Of yes of course, I never thought of that! At...
Replies
Views
D
https://salamanderstoves.com/product/small-stov...
Replies
Views
D
H2 with combi and stove? Combi sealed system...
Replies
Views
C
You could prob have two circuits joined by a...
Replies
Views
N
Replies
Views
Back