Worcester 30i... opinions?? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Worcester 30i... opinions?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blackspaven

Cannot find a single post about it on here. I know it's taken the place of the Junior, AND that it's the low end model; the guy at worcester said "don't bother with the CDi for a two bed semi, and the Si you don't need if you have the space for a full size boiler... go for the 30i) so seems unusual that a company would want say go for effectively the cheapest. Would just like to know what people think of it if anyone's fitted/worked on them?

Cheers! :)

very good

28 cdi compact is another good boiler

its the systems that let any boiler down eg dirty cruddy etc needs cleaning before a new boiler is fitted

Yup, with you on that one. It's getting a full flush, whatever is going in!
Said on another thread, was SOOOOoooo close to fitting an Ideal, but the apparent fact you can't run softened water through it cos their technical said it'll go through both the ally AND statinless steel heat exchangers instead of what everyone else does and splitting them solely for heating and hot water made it a pain in the proverbial!

Many thanks for your opinion, I'll welcome any others. :)

Yup, with you on that one. It's getting a full flush, whatever is going in!
Said on another thread, was SOOOOoooo close to fitting an Ideal, but the apparent fact you can't run softened water through it cos their technical said it'll go through both the ally AND statinless steel heat exchangers instead of what everyone else does and splitting them solely for heating and hot water made it a pain in the proverbial!

Many thanks for your opinion, I'll welcome any others. :)

you filling the heating side with softened water? if yes thats a no no with Worcesters (ok on the hot water side)

No, I know you need to bypass the softener for the heating side cos of the ally exchanger which would get 'eaten', but the stainless steel hot water one is fine with it once the loop is closed, I meant Ideal boilers can't have softened water at ALL cos it goes through both exchangers together, you can't separate them like you can on Worcester, etc. Seems a daft way to make a boiler to me but what do I know?!

No, I know you need to bypass the softener for the heating side cos of the ally exchanger which would get 'eaten', but the stainless steel hot water one is fine with it once the loop is closed, I meant Ideal boilers can't have softened water at ALL cos it goes through both exchangers together, you can't separate them like you can on Worcester, etc. Seems a daft way to make a boiler to me but what do I know?!

just had a look and your right thats a stupid design

Just wondering if there are installers who don't know that and therefore leaving peeps with invalid warranties?! Not an obvious thing, but scary as it's stupidly unexpected!

(not having a pop at installers, as I'm not one even in the slightest, just that it's interesting seeing how different guys work: Worcested specify a minimum 600mm space in front of their boilers to maintain the warranty; one accreditted guy who quoted can't have known as the NEXT guy who came said the boiler would have to be moved onto a different wall for that very reason... ergo, the first guy was undercharging cos it was less work moving, extra pipework, etc. and would have left me with a boiler wrongly installed and a warranty up the swanny!! Swings & roundabouts. :) )

as long as you can take the cover off your fine (so the depth of the boiler)

ive never had any complaints with that rule

I absolutely get where you're coming from, and in principal I can see that common sense rule WOULD work, it's just the tech guys on the phone have to stick to the letter so theoretically they could send someone really anal round who would want that rule imposed and refuse to work on it. For me, the under stairs cupboard is 720mm deep, so it'd leave roughly a 420mm space to get the cover off then work in, which is probably fine, but there's always the jobsworth. :)

I'd be a bit worried something untoward would happen cos of someone's opinion for the sake of moving the boiler through 90 degrees to the side and a bit of extra pipework.

...or am I thinking it through too much and should just leave it where it is?!

I absolutely get where you're coming from, and in principal I can see that common sense rule WOULD work, it's just the tech guys on the phone have to stick to the letter so theoretically they could send someone really anal round who would want that rule imposed and refuse to work on it. For me, the under stairs cupboard is 720mm deep, so it'd leave roughly a 420mm space to get the cover off then work in, which is probably fine, but there's always the jobsworth. :)

I'd be a bit worried something untoward would happen cos of someone's opinion for the sake of moving the boiler through 90 degrees to the side and a bit of extra pipework.

...or am I thinking it through too much and should just leave it where it is?!

seen much worse / tighten so you will be fine

Would save me a lot of money and my installer a lot of effort. If there's a problem, do Worcester send out an engineer or do you just call someone acreditted to Worcester nearby? For example, if I was near you in Wales, and you had installed it, would I call you or them directly just saying there's a problem and they send a random bod out who might be a stickler for the rules?

Seems it might be down to who you get repairing it! :0s

Would save me a lot of money and my installer a lot of effort. If there's a problem, do Worcester send out an engineer or do you just call someone acreditted to Worcester nearby? For example, if I was near you in Wales, and you had installed it, would I call you or them directly just saying there's a problem and they send a random bod out who might be a stickler for the rules?

Seems it might be down to who you get repairing it! :0s

depends if something wrong with boiler worcester

and you can think for days classic example boilers in lofts, they cant go up there unless its fully boarded with a fixed loft ladder and a light :D

but i would want to be there with the engineer just incase he needed anything from me

Last edited:
Shaun is that because of the built in filling loop. it's not an issue as i live and work in a soft water area

dont know about the 7 or 10 year ideal but the vouge has a removable one and that one cant be used on softened water (for hot water)

Ideal are just saying no softened water in any of their boilers, full stop. (Combi, at least, as that's what I was asking about)

Anyone know where I can get exploded diagrams of worcester boilers so I can see the depth from the mounting wall to the centre of the flue aperture?

I would have thought having a stainless steel heat ex it would okay.

I think sometimes they impose blanket bans on stuff just because it makes it easier for them

Normally, that's right but it's the way the water moves through the system, apparently. Ideal said it goes through BOTH exchangers whereas other makes will only have it going through one OR the other to make it okay.

Ah, well maybe then. Perhaps they worded it badly when I called cos they said all their boilers. Perhaps the meant all their logic+ but if that's the case then it wasn't made crystal.

No, i think you are right, they dont want softened water in any of their boilers. What i think is that they just put this standard wording in all their MIs so as to keep it simple for them rather than for genuine technical reasons

Curiousity got me! Called ideal and the vogue IS fine, both stainless steel. He also said, technically you CAN sort of do it on a logic + but you have to cap one bit odd, remove an element AND have a separate feed, not just a softener on bypass, so it's quite faffy. Odd.

Not according to the mis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Need to get someone out to calc what your...
Replies
Views
R
Everyone has their own preference There is no...
Replies
Views
If you have the spare funds go ahead as it...
Replies
Views
W
pcb issue so gas safe engy required sorry to say
Replies
Views
Thanks Shaun appreciate you taking the time to...
Replies
Views
Back